Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge in my 87' RC has been acting up on me lately, and I'm trying to figure it out. It started a month ago when I filled up, and the gauge went way past full and ticked back and fourth a couple times. It still moved, but would read about 1/4 tank higher than what was actuallly in the tank. Now it's stone dead. I though it was the gauge itself, so I shelled out 10 bucks at the wrecker for a new one, no big deal. Still doesn't work. I know everyone is going to say sending unit, but I'm lazy, it's hot out, and I don't feel like dropping my trailer hitch, skid pan and tank, unless I absolutely have to. My question is, is there any way to test the sending unit? What should I be looking for along the lines of resistance, voltage etc.?
thanks guys

Dan

·
Registered
619 Posts
definitely check the ground and also check the connections on the top of the S/U as well, maybe there just loose. but most likely you will have to drop the tank

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I checked it out, and I'm glad things are slow at the shop right now, because it looks like I'll be going up there on a day off to drop my fuel tank and change a sending unit ;D

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine started doing the same thing a week ago. reads a quarter tank higher than it is. I didn't know it until I ran out of gas when the gauge was reading just over 1/8 of a tank.

odd thing was, I only put in 26 gallons. isn't it supposed to be a 35 gallon tank?

I'm just going to fill up at 200 miles or so. having no gauge is annoying, but dropping the tank is far more annoying right now. I'll wait to kill my 9-1/4", or at least do a gear swap to get that tank outta there. then I'll put in a fuel cell and get rid of the explosive rock anchor.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
my rc has fuel guage problems too, but my gauge works backwords and only half way, for
example E means full and half of a tank means empty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. You can ground one of the wires and it will go to full. Your gas gauge is basically an ohmmeter. What I did was use a potentiometer and simulated full ½ and empty. Then I varied the potentiometer a little to see if the gauge would follow. I forgot what the resistance levels are supposed to be for empty and full. At the time I asked what the resistance was supposed to be and as always the RCC members delivered.
Streak-O-Lean

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in this boat too.

Ran out of gas tonight on the freeway. My gauge reads half when full, and must sit on empty for half a tank before it actually runs out.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
84RC prospector--you have a grounding problem.

Actually, most of the problems in this thread look like poor/intermittent/bad ground problems. Check out the ground strap between the fuel tank and body.

Sending unit should read around 73 Ohms empty and 10 ohms full. (+/-)

If you ground the sending unit wire leading to the gauge the gauge should peg to "full".

-SM

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well......when I have a full tank it read it as 3/4 full......I have no clue when It's empty though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts