Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my check engine light comes on occasionally and the truck will run like crap until i reset the computer (runs rich). im gonna change the fuel filter on it but i dont know where it is.
its a 97 extended cab 1500 4x4 with a 318.

thanks yall

·
Registered
766 Posts
As far as i know, it's in the gas tank. Major PITA to change I bet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i found that if you have the man power the easyest way to change it is take the bed off. not droping the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I fyou can begfor/borrow a scanner, have you checked for codes? Running rich all the time could be a bad coolant temp sensor (for the computer, not the gauge).

-SM

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
generally its best to replace the pump with the filter. You would have to go to Dodge to get the filter and its expensive

·
7,995 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
I fyou can begfor/borrow a scanner, have you checked for codes? Running rich all the time could be a bad coolant temp sensor (for the computer, not the gauge).

-SM
I agree, find out what the specific codes are and post them here and maybe we can figure out some other areas to check.:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
to get the code for your '97, try the following:

Without starting the engine, turn the key on, off, on, off, then on again.

The CHECK ENGINE light will begin to flash. have a piece of paper ready, because it will flash the 1st digit, pause, then flash the 2nd digit of the code. An even longer pause will occur between codes.

The final code will be 55, this signals the end of the list.

Just so you know, this is only supposed to work when the check engine light is on. This method worked on my '97 Ram, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Here's a link to a list and some other info about the codes http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slanted_Mind said:

-SM
thats funny that you say that because my temp guages acts funny. it will go up to about 2 needles past the middle then other times it will be fine. also my oil pressure gauges acts up alot. will go a little low at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts