Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on this one. 85 RC 318 auto
I was driving down the road when I came upon a large hill. As I accelerated to go up the hill, the truck bogged down as if it wasn't getting fuel. I let my foot off of the pedal and it went back to normal. After I peaked the hill, I punched it hard thinking something may have gotten into the carb and it did the same thing. I set the timing, changed the carb and fuel filter and now every time you hit the gas hard it willl rev to the point just before changing gears and it will actually stall if I hold it there.
I'm at a loss. Any ideas? ???

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, already looked at that thread.
More detail on my truck.....newly cleaned out tank a few months ago, new sending unit, all new fuel lines including return line, changed fuel pump (thinking this was the problem) new fuel filter, timing and carb set up, starts like it was brand new and idles beautifully. You can rev it all you want in park or neutral, or even in drive with your foot on the brake and it does not even hesitate, only when driving it and giving it WOT or close.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is your autoatic shifting ok when you punch it?it should kick down and sometimes it will bog just like a gear box if in too high a gear,but somthing tells me you are not getting this type of bog though, usually I find if you are running short on fuel the engine usually will backfire or spit really quick letting you know maby the accelerator pump is wacked of low fuel pressuer maby.I am thinking you may want to look at the timing it could be retarded to much as the rest of the engine gets worn and old it may like a bit of advance?Also air fuel mixture could need adjustment to get rid of those rich lean spikes before hitting it.Just a few cents good luck.

Mike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
what about the neeldle seat sticking closed not letting enough fuel into the bowl and when you punch it it is draining your bowl.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah sig sauer that could also be the trouble I forgot to meantion that, good thinking I have a big ford with a 460 4bbl which had this trouble too seem more common than not.

Mike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you use rubber fuel hose for your fuel line? I did on my 440 and couldn't keep the truck running down the road. It would act just like you shut off the key. I unhooked the stock fuel pump and put on a holley blue pusher. Problem went away. I think the stock f/p wasn't able to pull a large volume of fuel through the rubber hose. Also maybe have an air leak, pump sucks air easier then fuel. Just some thoughts.
Michael

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Also this is really simple cuz mentioned u swapped carbs so did u get the kick down adjusted right ? i would look there if everyhtign else is performing ok .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts