Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have some serious problems with my fuel consumption. The fuel tank on my RC is about 34gal I think. I also have an '01 Dodge Ram with about a 27 or 28 gal fuel tank. My Ram gets about 12 miles a gallon according to the gauge in the over head console. Well actually it reads about 11.7. I have 33's on my Ram and 33's on RC, but on the same 75 mile trip I always take, when I first start the trip on a full tank the Ram ends with the gas gauge still near the (F) for full, but the RC only has about 3/4 left. ??? So if the gauge in my Ram is correct than I don't even think I'm getting 10 miles a gallon. My RC is fuel injected too.

I've given it tune up and replaced the fuel filter a couple of times already, but I don't know if this is normal for my RC or not. :-[

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
There are many things that will cause one truck to get much better mileage than another. Your Ram is alot newer and benefits from many advances in performance and economy as compared to your older RC.

Things like automatic overdrive, improved engine management, better aerodynamics, etc. will all benefit the newer of the two trucks.

It's hard to know why the RC gets worse mileage without knowing more about it and any modifications done to it (Such as a lift or swapped axle gears, etc)

You can gain a small improvement in fuel economy by making sure the tires are fully inflated, theres no drag in the brakes, you top off everything that holds oil or lube with a synthetic, you acellerate slowly and maintain a consistant speed. (It also helps to drive about 5 mph under the posted speed limit)

Ed

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
That, and the fuel gauges read differently too.
Unless you top of each tank, make the run, then top-off as close to the same level as possible, then compare the gallons used, you don't really have a good idea whether there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
The only way to calculate mileage it to keep track of mileage and fill ups.

Some things you can do to increase mileage:
~Keep your tires properly inflated (as RXT already mentioned).
~Synthetic fluids in your engine, transmission, tcase and axles
~High quality spark plugs, Rapidfire Platinums are my #1 choice. Change them as soon as they show wear.
~MSD 6 ignition system, with MSD coil, wires, cap and rotor.
~K&N air raid system, or similar.
~Headers, higher flow exhaust (within reason), high flow cat (if needed for emissions), cat back exhaust.

Basically anything that increases efficiency without increasing fuel usage (duh).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts