Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my '77 M880 I noticed the front was sagging on the drivers side. I checked it out & found the drivers side leaf spring was bent. I put on new ones & it still sags! I noticed the bolt holes were egged out & the bottom bolt can move about 1/8" I plan on making a new shackle, but I believe the bushing in the frame is bad also. Is it the same size as the spring bushing?
I measured the truck, the front fender on the drivers side is 1 1/2" lower that the passengers side.(same as before the spring change!) I also measured the height of the shackles, found the drivers side is 1/2" lower that the passengers side.
Any ideas? Please help, the drivers side tire rubs when pulling into the parking lot!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Ok u put a lift kit on right ? 5 inches of leaf spring in the front ? I know there has been sagging issues on the passenger side before the lift . U can do a few thigns to make her level .

1 Have new shackles made we got blueprints for them front and rear .
2 U can stick a half inch block under the passenger side spring but weld it in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! actually u can mount it to the top plate of leafs i think is how it's done right ? well i know it's fixable though .

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck had a 5" lift when I got it. All I did was change the springs, cause drivers side looked bent. The cab mounts appear to be ok.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Park the truck on a perfectly level surface, measure the rear axle tube to floor height, both sides, then the frame to floor height just behind the shackle, then measure the top bolt frame shackle to floor height both sides, then the top bolt in the shackle to the top of the frame and the bottom of the frame, now go to the front hangers and see what they measure to the floor, then measure from the front spring bolt to the top shackle bolt on both sides. Then see if everything is the same or how much it is off and which 1's are off

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As soon as the rain stops I will get those mearurements.
I got the metal for my new shackle, now I have to order bushings. I believe the cab bushings are bad also, this will also affect the way it sits. Because the cab bushings are bad, I decided to get a 3" body lift. I will post the measurements & keep you updated.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
A body lift won't fix the body bushings, there are 2 different things. A body lift goes in WITH the bushings, not INSTEAD of them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that. I ordered both the lift & new bushings. I am getting 36" tires for it also. I wanted the extra clearance for the taller tires.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
ok, just making sure. BTW, WELCOME TO THE SITE!! ;D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
Park the truck on a perfectly level surface, measure the rear axle tube to floor height, both sides, then the frame to floor height just behind the shackle, then measure the top bolt frame shackle to floor height both sides, then the top bolt in the shackle to the top of the frame and the bottom of the frame, now go to the front hangers and see what they measure to the floor, then measure from the front spring bolt to the top shackle bolt on both sides. Then see if everything is the same or how much it is off and which 1's are off
Everything on the drivers side is 1/2" lower that the passengers side, on the frame & shackle height. The axle is straight accross. I know the drivers side bushing in the frame is shot. And the shackle is shot. I ordered new bushings & made a new shackle. When the bushings come in I will install it all & let you know what happens.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While putting on my 3" body lift I noticed the trans/transfer case support is bent! It has been fulled back & down on the drivers side. Holy Moly I found the problem, I think!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts