Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Shaggy's sells the poly bushing with there front shackle extention. Do they exist? Where would they get them? I also notice they make these shackles 1/2" longer which is supose to improves articulation. How? I thought if you lower that end it changes the pinion angle so the drive shaft would bind. Shouldn't you do the other end of the spring as well, so you wouldn't have to use shims? (What you do to one side you should do to the other) And if you did the other end wouldn't you just gain in lift and not articulation?
Some technical thought.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Where do you get what? The Shaggy shackles? That would be at http://offroadexchange.com. If you mean the poly bushings, yes alot of people have them, they are 1" id bushings, very common. The rear springs bushings are the hard ones to find.

A 1/2" longer shackle will only lift the truck 1/4", I don't think that is enough to hurt your pinion angles and steering geometry.

Of coarse if you were using a 2" longer shackle, it would be a good idea to do the other side as well.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Sam I meant the shackle bushings for the frame on the rear of the front spring.

I get thinking things and don't get them out so everyone understands. Happens more so now that my wife understands my lanuage... I just keep doing it.

How does that 1/2" in length give more articulation? what they claim.
So, say even with a 4" lift spring, that 1/4" lift won't hurt the caster or pinion angle?

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
I don't think the 1/2" would give you any benefit in articulation. 2", maybe but probably not with just 1/2". The only way it really would is if your current shackle was hitting the frame or the frame rivet so it could not move back any more, then maybe it could give some articulation, but not enough to notice. But with 2" you would notice it.

From what people have said, the frame bushing is also 1" ID (or is it OD?), but the same as the spring. As far as a bushing made just for the frame, I haven't found anyone that sells them. A long time ago I went to a local spring shop and they told me that nobody makes them anymore, but that they used fuel hose or heater hose with an outside diameter to fit, just cut it to fit the full width of the hole and grease it.

I tried this and it worked well for years in a heavily offroaded daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
My buddy says a shop he deals with can source the frame bushings. He is supposed to be bringing them up sometime soon so I can see what they gave him. Hopefully they will have a part # ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts