Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 w250 with a 400 big block in it with the three leaves springs.  I have about maybe a finger width between the snubber and the front springs on both sides of my truck.  Shouldn't there be more clearance between the leaf spring and the snubber on the frame?  Also, would a 3-pack spring be strong enough for a big block?

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
the number of leafs is not always a specific indicator of how strong a leaf pack really is - it's relative to how thick the leafs are and how much arch is in them...vs how long they last overall with 'x' amount of weight on top of them. 

Sounds like your front leafs are simply clapped out and have lost their original arch.  Short answer to the big block questions is 'yes' - a fresh 3-leaf set with the right amount of arch you'd want will 'work', and the ride might be really nice, but it might not last for lots of years.  A 4 or 5-leaf pack will also support the weight, but if the leafs are thinner then they can be as 'weak' as a thick-leafed 3-pack and clap out just as fast. 

It's all relative - lots of factors.  My recommendation would be to just replace what's there with a new off-the-shelf set of Skyjackers like the D200S (2" lift) or D400S (4" lift) and go from there.  Available mail order from just about anywhere - I like using Summit Racing or my local 4WheelParts store.

- Sam

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do that thank you for the information.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed , and a good statement of how it works , the oem springs gave a good ride , and were almost flat , over time springs sagg . I try to stay flat and about 1 to 1 1/2 inch to the snubber . Big arch = bounce and many thick springs = lumber wagon ( harsh) ( no springs)  understand , there are custom deals for use for different purposes, Factory was a happy medium for what the consumer wanted when it was built . 

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The D200S say they have a two-inch lift, if I were to put those springs on my stock w250 would it then be level from front to back or still have a little California rake?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Don't you mean Carolina 😜

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Skyjacker makes a nice spring for the money, the only thing i dont like about them is the small eyes for the bushings (dodge)

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
86w250 said:
The D200S say they have a two-inch lift, if I were to put those springs on my stock w250 would it then be level from front to back or still have a little California rake?
it's impossible to say with any certainty, but I would say that the D200S is probably about as close to the OE lift as you're likely to find.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, as long as it doesn't have that gawd awfull carolina rake or the front being higher than the back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.