Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Front drive shaft question

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  IntenseImages 
#1 ·
My Ramcharger is missing the front drive shaft. Its a 74 i've found a front shaft out of a 85. Will it bolt up and work(203 vs 208 t-case) or do I need to just buy a new shaft (I was Quoted about 400 for a new one I can get the one out of the yard for 100 and rebuild it myself) Thanx Wyatt

#2 ·
I don't know a whole lot yet, so I might be spewing non-sense, but I would count the splines where the shaft would slide in, and measure the length from point A to point B. Then go compare it to the shaft in question that you found.

And my lack of technical knowledge is why I'm chicken to tear into any new project on my own rig....

#3 ·
to correct you squid, the shaft doesn't slide into the t-case, it is bolted onto a yoke. and if the bolt holes line up from the driveshaft to the transfer case, and the u-joints are the same, then there is no problem using it, as long as your slip shaft part of the shaft isn't too far in, or too far out when it's all bolted togehter, you'd want it right in the middle, or close to it.

also squid, you'll never understand mechanics, or much of anyhting if you let it intimidate you, embrace what you wanna learn, try it out, and if you screw up, have someone show you the right way as to how to fix what you screwed up, and how ot do it right in the first place, i know you're new, but 4 years ago i didnt know how change a water pump, and now im a mechanic by trade amazingly enough without any shcooling, all my trainign was first hand/fuck up/ figure it out. and that is the best way to learn imho.
-zach

#6 ·
Precision Driveline on 33rd ave & Osborn quoted me just under $300 to make me a new front driveshaft

#9 ·
to answer your original question, i think the length will be different, so you will probably need a new one. now if the one from the 85 longer than you need, it might be possible to have it shortened.

Duane

#10 ·
ok to correct everybody here.

that 85 front dirveshaft will bolt directly into place on that 74 as long as he has the 203 case in that 74 (which it shoud)

i know this cuz i have used an 82, 84 ,85, and 87 shaft in my 76 ramcharger.

i will point out however, that the rear driveshafts will not interchange due to a major length difference.

eric

#12 ·
Is that a T-case thing? Im looking at dropping the 203 and putting a 208 or 241 in it down the road (Mabe sooner than later I dont know if the t case works the truck came to me on a tow truck with the back end full of parts)

#13 ·
If this a a 74 than it may need the old style driveshaft installed. First thing to do is to check the front of the transfer case and see if it has a yoke on it or a flat flange with 4 bolt holes. You can pick up rebuilt shafts at any auto parts stores just that you would have to pay the core charge. ???

#14 ·
If you have the flange style one from a Blazer will work, I've had to use one when mine broke on the trail.

#16 ·
CLRracer said:
hey chump, the auto parts stores around here dont sell driveshafts.

Duane
Duane, are you near Smithfield? Try NAPA or Autozone...may be special order?

NAPA Prop Shafts Driveshaft - Front
Item#: JAT12710
Price: $ 223.76
Core Price: $ 55.00
Attributes: Driveshaft - Front

Autozone-DRIVESHAFT
CCT DRIVESHAFT for a 1989 DODGE TRUCK RAMCHARGER 4WD
Unit Price: $162.99
Core Value*: $55.00
Part No.: 12-710
Weight: 21.0 lbs.
Warranty: 3 MO
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Special Order

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.