Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Ford D60 front axle. Two seals in question, one each on either side of the u-joint, circled in red. Both appear to be 'dust shields', but I cannot confirm that. And despite the picture title I also cannot confirm either are actually for an 1989 Ford D60 and/or only needed in the newer Superduty ball joint axles.

Anyone here know if those two seals are 'required' for a properly rebuilt axle assembly, or are either/both 'required' for proper sealing, especially the spindle side.

Please advise.

- Sam

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
I can help for the outside.

Across the top, 59, 58, 60, and 61 The metal piece in the bottom center is 57.  They look the same as the D44, just upscaled. Some old axles have 59 made from brass.

Can't help with number 90, will be interested in learning what it is, and what it is for.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
That's a poor diagram for an '89 D60.... since it has balljoints instead kingpins, and 5 lug hubs.

My best stab at part #90 (if it even exists on an '89 F350 D60) is a simple metal dust slinger. My '95 F350 definitely didn't have a seal in there.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx try this web site ? use numbers off assembly ...me I'd look for machined surface on axle and inside tube where a seal would install and ride ... all the auto "factory" manuals suck for this info , frankly.
a seal between the diff's oil and the world outside MUST be somewhere , either next to the diff , or out there at # 90 ... but just 1 seal before the axle u joint ... SO what IS # 32 ??
The outter deal , yeah a tin / rubber compression ( from snap ring on axle's end ) open dirt seal picture looks identical to D44's all its for is dust/dirt/maybe some water being kept out of the wheel bearings , same as the o ring on the manual hub or cover .just the other end of it ... ( we knew that )

its just like the torrington bearing IN the bearing /axle tube of a D44 , I have seen some with a bearing on both sides , some with 1 side , and put them together both ways ... something has to support the u joint/stub axle from shifter outward ....

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys.  #32 is the inner tube seal(s) and I have those in place so no worries there - they're even the upgraded versions so I'm hoping that there won't be any oil leaks.

that diagram is actually for both the BJ and KP versions, but yeah the pic I blew up was the BJ section but that was the only area that showed the outer tube seal #90.

I think #90 is just a 'debris shield' and not an actual oil seal and I'll probably just leave it off...if it was even offered.  Most shops I've called have said they do not use them...but that doesn't mean they weren't offered.  Very vague answers.  I've seen some sort of 'debris shield' at the end of the inner axles of many Jeeps - I'm guessing it's something like that only for a D60.

But the stub shaft dust shield #57 - that I want to retain because if nothing else it should do a good job of deflecting dirt and debris away from the hub seals, so that I'll use.  I think the OEM units I had went with the original 30-spline outers, which I've sold.  4WheelParts lists them as a 'Dana Spicer Dana 60 Stub Axle Slinger #37308' - I'll pick up a set locally.

Thanks guys {cool}

- Sam

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
#90 is a "Dust shield" I think Ford at times spec'ed their version of the 60 with one. I would link to another automotive forum, but I don't want to break any rules here, but you can type in "2005 F350 4x4 Dust Seal issue" into your favorite search engine, you'll get an idea as to what it looks like.

A lot of times, I've seen 30s, 44s, and 60s without the dust shield. The only advantage with using them is to keep dirt and stuff out of the tubes, but I don't think they did a good job sealing out water and mud. In fact, I usually have the concern that if water gets past this seal, that water will tend to stay in the tube longer which will cause the shafts to rust, eventually create pits, which in turn creates stress risers on the shafts and then you'll eventually break a shaft or two.

#57 also appears to be a dust shield, the one that is supposed to seal the stub / knuckle area. This seal is the "required" one to be using because just behind it will be the wheel bearings and maybe the lock out hub and those parts are covered in grease. If you try to run without this seal, you'll end up with contaminated grease

Ed

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's a big 10 - 4 Ed - those are my thoughts as well.  I'm going to forego the #90 item, and I've got two of the #57 debris shields on their way from 4WP. 

Thanks guys! {cool}

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
RXT said:
#57 also appears to be a dust shield, the one that is supposed to seal the stub / knuckle area. This seal is the "required" one to be using because just behind it will be the wheel bearings and maybe the lock out hub and those parts are covered in grease. If you try to run without this seal, you'll end up with contaminated grease

Ed
All the parts in the pic I posted, are between the shield, and the back side of the spindle, and then you have the spindle bearing seal, and spindle bearing. Then you have to travel inside the spindle, to get to the locking hubs, and then the wheel bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
for the inside of the axle tube ,,,,, foam pipe insulation , about 10 inches of it , over the axle shaft , it will help hold the axle UP so you don't rip the inner OIL seal AND it will keep dirt on the outer side of the tube , yep it wears so?

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
East Coast Gear Supply does have a specialized tube end 'shield' that I thought about using, but I don't want to trap dust, dirt, water, etc between it and the actual axle shaft seals so I'll just leave the tube end open, and that way I can also lightly hose dirt and other junk out of the tube end, and, if I see oil I'll know the inner seal is leaking.

We're good fellas, thanks! {cool}

- Sam

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
most of, if not all my d44's inner seals leak , seems it only gets so low , I try to "park" on the "flat", and I typically don't "ford" water LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.