Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 R/C with a 9 1/4 rear axle and a D-44 up front. I may be mistaken, but my front axle looks wider than my rear. Is this common on all RC's or is just my mine? Also is there a way to fix this or is just something I'll have to live with? It doesn't cause much of a problem I just don't like the way it looks from the rear. :mad:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i know i'm gonna get bashed for this, but i think a 14 bolt rear end out of a chevy would be about the same width...if it bothers you that much. I might be wrong though

·
3,753 Posts
AZ-Trailduster said:
i know i'm gonna get bashed for this, but i think a 14 bolt rear end out of a chevy would be about the same width...if it bothers you that much. I might be wrong though
It all depends on what you get the 14 bolt out of. There are a couple of different widths in trucks but a fullsize van is the widest one to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If the wheel studs are long enough, a 1/4" spacer between the axle and the rim on each side will place the front and rear wheels in about the same plane. You can also make a similar correction with rear rims that have another 1/4" offset, but then you have different rims for front/back.

Main problem with the spacers is they place the wheel further out on the axle, which puts more stress on your axle bearings...which leads to premature failure.

-SM

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Yup, it's wider. The front axle is wider on most 4wds. I was told several reasons about this. The two I can remember are: wider turning radius, 2 different tire tracks to prevent getting stuck. But I'm not really sure why it is wider. If you wanna make the rear end wider so it's about the same you can either order custom axles assemblies which costs alot of money or you can get the bolt on spacers to move the sides out as much as you want and those only cost about $100 for a pair.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The front axle is wider. Wider because it has to turn and there has to be enough movement for the tires to make a somewhat decent turn so the knuckles are on the axle alittle further outward or when you turned the tire will contact the drag link or spring, you can use a different offset rim in the front if it bothers you that much, but turn your wheels lock to lock and see how much room is between the tire and the drag link and you will see if you do that it will hit it with a different offset wheel, it's normal

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I think I read somewhere that an narrower width in the rear is good for mud bogging because it allows the rears to track different then the fronts. I think.

·
Premium Member
7,284 Posts
I noticed this a few years ago on a Furd I owned. I thought I had bent the frame. There are two reasons why the front axle is wider. First like ED-3 said, it puts the knuckles out further to allow for steering, and second, it makes the truck more stable when turning. Remember that trucks have a higher center of gravity than cars.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.