Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that I do not have a positraction rear end on my 79 PowerWagon - but if I did, and I replaced the gear oil with 90 weight, and added 4 ounces of Friction Modifier, would that hurt anything?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Jack the rear end up and spin a tire, if the other spins the opposite way you have an open diff.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't think so, but you wouldn't gain anything either. Use Lucas gear oil instead.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do what RJB suggested. That stuff isn't real cheap and there is no sense in adding it if you don't need it. But no it would not hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Isn't that friction modifier only to keep the clutches quiet or does it mechanically need it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw that if you have a limited slip dif, you need to add the stuff, and since I do not plan on takeing the rear cover off to see if it is a LSD, then I thought I would just add the stuff regardless, since I already bought it, and not worry if it didn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
it aint very hard to take the cover off. a matter of 10/12 bolts and a tube of rtv. might be a good excuse to drain the diff anyways.

never know how much water is in there from some previous owner who thought it was a swamp buggy.

i ve heard many a times where people found a "chocolate milk" concoction in their diff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info - may have the day off tomorrow - RTV is that gasket sealer - my cover looks like the bottom was bent backwards - do you make a gasket, or just use a lot of some kind of goo? (new to all of this...)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Forget that RTV.....Get a gasket for it and then you can just use a few dabs of RTV to hold the gasket in place.......Then in the future it'll be a lot easier to get off.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If it's a 9.25 there is no gasket. If you want, go to NAPA and get some material and cut your own, if not just use RTV.

·
7,995 Posts
joe swinehart said:
the factory didnt use a gasket. if you let the stuff cure properly there is no need for such gasket.
Both my 77 RC's had gaskets on them and I bought the trucks brand new. ???
Mopar part # 3507691
NAPA# NGAP29352

Point being that the FSM states that you can use RTV but there is still a gasket that was or can be used.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Chump said:
joe swinehart said:
the factory didnt use a gasket. if you let the stuff cure properly there is no need for such gasket.
Both my 77 RC's had gaskets on them and I bought the trucks brand new. ???
Mopar part # 3507691
NAPA# NGAP29352

Point being that the FSM states that you can use RTV but there is still a gasket that was or can be used.
Well I'll be damned! Learn something new all the time. I love this site! :)

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Chump said:
Any good auto parts store will have the gasket.
74-93
GOOD is the operative word here. You hafta go to a parts house that actually has a fel-pro book, and counter help that know how to open and flip to the back of it and find the one you need. There is a difference between a parts hand and a computer-reader. ;D

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
lol, I went to NAPA to get a gasket and was told it was dealer only. I went ot the dealer and they told me there was no gasket and they use Mopar brand RTV.

THEN......I bought a Yukon master rebuild kit from Randy's Ring and Pinion and they included a gasket for it. Go figure. ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts