Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to install factory air into my non-factory-air equipped '79. ;D Any body got any opinions on which is better between freeze 12 and R-134a? I converted my '88 to 134, and it's okay, but nothing really impressive.

Also, the system has been open for a while, with the compressor and condensor out of the truck. What is the best way to flush all the components before I put it all together and charge it?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Freeze 12 is garbage. I've never used it, but people I've talked to all don't like it. Use the 134 retrofit kit with the super chill stuff (the name escapes me, but you put it in place of 1 can of 134). All you should have to do is replace the receiver/drier (if the system's been open, the dessicant has absorbed a bunch of moisture from the air and it's no good anymore), then seal the system and have it evacuated to 29" hg for 30 minutes. This causes any moisture in the system to boil away. Then shoot in the contents of the retrofit kit, along with a tube of UV dye (to show you any leaks in the future) and you should be set. Flushing shouldn't be necessary.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would definitely flush the system out. They sell a special flush for this, but you can also use denatured alcohol. A spray can that can be "pumped up" with your air compressor is good for this.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Definitly go with the r-134. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but its better for the environment too if that matters to you. I got a retrofit kit for my car for only$50 I think last summer, and it came with 3 cans of refidgerant and all the adapters I needed. Real simple, done it 15 min.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man I miss R-12. Ahh the good ole days. Well, I thought Freeze 12 was s'poseda be better than 134. It's about the same price, and 100% compatible with R-12 systems. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Actually its no where near the same price. R-12 is WAY more expensive than R-134.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dodge 85 RC said:
Actually its no where near the same price. R-12 is WAY more expensive than R-134.
What you say is quite true, however I was referring to Freeze 12, which is about the same price as R-12. Man, I miss R12

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dont use the freeze 12 it sucks it has a piss por fracionalsation and the temp glide sucks if you have a leak u have to pull it all out and start over with 134a u can just add what you lost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts