Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the news last night we noticed "those in need" receiving free school supplies...yet the parents are shown on tv taking pictures of the occasion with their new iphones/smart phones. IMO, If you can't afford $20-$50 for school supplies for your children you have no business with a smart phone.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Obama would disagree , but not me .... all my life I've seen many calling them selves underprivileged driving new autos , to the welfare office . its priorities . 

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
Reminds me of an elementary school picnic back in the late 90's. There was a crowd of parents sitting around listening to one lady explain all how she was gaming the system.

Starts with not getting married, and not getting the fathers name on the childs birth cert.
Then the baby daddy owns the house, and on paperwork, she rents it from him (And keeping it quiet that the baby daddy live with them.
Then you push to get the kid diagnosed with ADHD (apparently not that hard, as most of the diagnosis is by what the parent says about the kids behavior, and activity). And of course she was the only one that can give the kid the meds, so she can't work (Don't know how welfare bought that one).
Welfare pays the rent.
The Liheap program pays for the gas heat.
Some program pays for new windows, and a new heating/ AC system, and added insulation, and doors. Also, new energy efficient appliances, and (The Baby daddy also rents out a few other houses to welfare recipients, so they can get the windows and heating system upgraded for free, then flips the house, and starts over)
Don't forget the free obama phone, and free internet.
Free breakfast and lunch for the kid at school, which also is served throughout the summer.

Poverty is not a financial status, it's a state of mind.

How many of those hand out collectors, are here illegally?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you must also consider the "governmental" corruption involved . the school get more state $ per student if the student is "poor"  the state here requires the county to administer certain social services , so the county hires a "non profit " group ( family / friends of county legislators etc.) to do that , that group's hired execs all drive
" caddys" , and  live in THE best homes in the county .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that effort to work the system seems like it could be applied to something more productive...like work. Some of my family members are involved in a local charity where they go around and do different things...one week might be at the rabbit society, the next feeding homeless, giving out turkeys for thanksgiving, etc.
They tell me that the people pull up in escalades and other expensive cars with expensive cloths, nails manicured, hair, etc. Talk about irony...if that's even the right word. Working people during the week taking their time on the weekends serving those who refuse to work.

I should clarify...there are people who genuinely need help or going through a "rough patch" but I'd say there are some taking advantage of the system without a doubt

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
dodge82273 said:
you must also consider the "governmental" corruption involved . the school get more state $ per student if the student is "poor" the state here requires the county to administer certain social services , so the county hires a "non profit " group ( family / friends of county legislators etc.) to do that , that group's hired execs all drive
" caddys" , and live in THE best homes in the county .
Pa, and probably everywhere, the schools try to label everyone with a learning disability, Even something simple as a speech impediment. Brings in a lot more money for the school.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
flyfish said:
All that effort to work the system seems like it could be applied to something more productive...like work. Some of my family members are involved in a local charity where they go around and do different things...one week might be at the rabbit society, the next feeding homeless, giving out turkeys for thanksgiving, etc.
They tell me that the people pull up in escalades and other expensive cars with expensive cloths, nails manicured, hair, etc. Talk about irony...if that's even the right word. Working people during the week taking their time on the weekends serving those who refuse to work.

I should clarify...there are people who genuinely need help or going through a "rough patch" but I'd say there are some taking advantage of the system without a doubt
Who wants to punch a clock, and answer to a boss, when you can work from home, gaming the system? That lady was quite proud of what she had learned in getting over on the system.

Here we have the beggars, sorry, "voluntary vagrant". Its a" lifestyle". They camp out on city property, Live as cheap as you can, and hang out on street corners begging for money. About 10 years ago, the city tried to drive a group off, but the courts blocked it saying the city was violating their free speech. The court did finally concede that they cannot walk down between the cars with a donation can. agreeing it is dangerous. Most look to be in their 20's and 30's, and quite capable of working.

Because of my legs the way they are, I usually wait in the car, while my Wife and Mother do the shopping. So I have had plenty of time to watch them. They get about 9 to 12 donations per hour (Thurs days, I bet weekends are a lot more), If thee average donation is $5, they are raking in some good money. They may not be getting the welfare, due to the work requirements, but I bet they are signed up for everything else they can get. Obama care, obama phone, Food stamps.

Maybe this will get them to move to Chicago.

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/16/chicago-universal-basic-income-ubi/

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
flyfish said:
Watching the news last night we noticed "those in need" receiving free school supplies...yet the parents are shown on tv taking pictures of the occasion with their new iphones/smart phones. IMO, If you can't afford $20-$50 for school supplies for your children you have no business with a smart phone.
I agree. BUT with property taxes s high as they are why should we help?

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I agree. BUT with property taxes s high as they are why should we help?
Don't get me going on that. Last year the local School district (Goes by the whole county here), got the voters to approve a higher tax rate, so they could build a new school, and give the teachers a raise. Now the state is pushing a bill to raise the money all the schools get from the state.

The Charter schools which seem to be loaded with money, now get almost $400 more per student, which comes out of the local districts budget. :p

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just read the article...what a train wreck! Hell, people will kill one another for $5. Pick 1000 people for $500.00 a month and there will be even more killing in chicago. Not to mention the cost and precedent it sets. Oh and then try to take it back once it fails. At the same time, there's all kinds of underhanded tricks people and even businesses use for EBT/SNAP.

SuperBurban said:

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Don't get me going on that. Last year the local School district (Goes by the whole county here), got the voters to approve a higher tax rate, so they could build a new school, and give the teachers a raise. Now the state is pushing a bill to raise the money all the schools get from the state.

The Charter schools which seem to be loaded with money, now get almost $400 more per student, which comes out of the local districts budget. :p
Here, they have built and rebuilt 2 schools in the last 2 years. My property taxes went up by $1000 a year because of this. :mad: All the while the idiots that run the schools are getting raises, AND neither of my 2 boys went to public school EVER. Why am I paying for other peoples kids to go to school? It costs enough to home school as it is! If your kids aren't in public school you shouldn't have to pay squat!

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
Property taxes here are about 1/3 of what I paid in Pa, for 30 times the property. But, we have city, county, and state sales tax. Total is around 9%.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
mid 70's I had a friend , wanted me to move to CA . said property tax was 1/2 of here , he was right , but the accessed value was twice what the same home was here .... so ... I'm thinking the taxes were the same ....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A lot of that tax game is going on here in georgia too. Another thing the schools are doing is making students bring a bunch of supplies on the first day of school. I don't have the list yet this year but I remember last year it was several large bags of supplies and all items must be new and unwrapped....rolls of paper towels, 3-4 boxes of disinfectant wipes, boxes of pencils/pens, large rhems of paper, etc. I bet my kids use a fraction of what we brought and many items they don't even use. What they do is give all that away to those who "need it". I don't have a problem helping people that are truly in need...we do in fact. But, this is akin to being forced to do so when I'm betting many people of the disappearing middle class are unfairly being put in a situation that puts financial stress on them too! What happened to buying your kids supplies when they need them and the supplies they want/need to fit their needs. No, the gubment must tell us I suppose and the taxes we pay aren't enough? I'm tempted to have them go to school with their own supplies and see what happens.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
flyfish said:
I'm tempted to have them go to school with their own supplies and see what happens.
I agree, but Unfortunately its the kids that will get harassed.

But, this is akin to being forced to do so when I'm betting many people of the disappearing middle class are unfairly being put in a situation that puts financial stress on them too!
Yea, we struggle to swing buying everything at once, and those that spend all their money on I phones, and other expensive stuff get a pass, because they do not have any money in the bank. More, and more our society rewards the ones who are foolish with their money.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep , my 2 kids had to bring in a small amount of stuff, by the time my G/F's 4 kids went , it was the large bags EACH , that did put a hurt on her family .

when I was little , before welfare , my ma would box up my old cloths and stuff , we'd bring it to one of the poor family's , BUT , back then even tho their home had NO paint left on it , there wasn't one piece of trash in their yard,  the kids all spoke English not some slang , the father was present , went to work every day sober , they all went to church ( somewhere ) on Sundays . BUT there was NO "welfare" then ....  they did not have the TOYS ( new cars tore to pieces in the yard ) 250$ sneekers  today's "poor" all seem to have ....  some of my classmates wore dresses made from grain sacks , I have class photos to prove that ...   

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.