Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 76's frame is going to the sandblaster within a few weeks. I was planning on having them primer it when that are done. I am thinking about getting the whole thing covered with LINE X after that. Is there any problems with that? Also, what kinds of other coatings should I look at. Keeping in mind that this is a minnesota truck and needs to be extreamly weather proof.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Everyone seems to like POR-15. Fresh sandblast would be ideal for it. I do my frames with zinc-epoxy primer and urathane paint.

·
Registered
810 Posts
POR-15 would be much cheaper than Line-X, and I can personally testify that POR-15 is incredible stuff.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's like $400-$500 to line X a truck bed, so I assume it would be about the same for a frame. How much POR-15 would it take to do a frame? Do you use it like normal paint?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah, it's brush or spray on. They sell it on their website http://www.por-15.com for $105 a gallon, but my parts guy sells it for $90, so look around. They say 1 gallon will do 350 sq/ft (1 coat), and they recommend 2 coats. I doubt you'd need more than a gallon - 5 quarts at the most for just the frame, a little more if you're doing the axles too. Don't have them prime it though. POR15 likes to be applied directly over rust, but they say seasoned metal or freshly sandblasted will work too. The only thing it won't work right with is bright shiny metal. I'm going to be doing the same thing with my '89 sometime this summer.. I'm also going to do the whole underside of the body and the engine compartment. Good luck, let us know how it turns out! :)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the POR-15 site sells it for $22 a quart. SO that comes out to $110 plus shipping. Are you saying that I should have them sandbalst it, then POR-15 directly after that? nothing on the bare metal but the POR-15? Then a coat of paint goes over that? That seems odd...but ok, I'm going to call the sandblasting place tommorow and see if they have ever used it before.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Personally I'd be more comfortable putting it on sandblasted metal. Hell, hose it down to get a fine coat of rust, then apply it. I'd do that because the rust could be different thicknesses throughout the frame, as well as an ugly surface. They recommend: Bare rusted, seasoned, or sandblasted metal > 2 coats POR-15 > light dusting of primer sprayed on still-tacky 2nd coat > let dry > full prime coat > top coat. You only have to prime and topcoat if you want a different color, or if it will be in direct sunlight, because the color will change (it is UV sensitive) On an undercarriage, it's not necessary.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TaZMaNiaK said:
Personally I'd be more comfortable putting it on sandblasted metal.
I'd agree with you. I don't think I like the idea of just painting over rust, no matter what I'm painting with. So here is what I'll do: Sand blast; Two coats of POR-15, Primer, and a coat or two of gloss back to finish it off. That sounds a lot cheaper than LINE X.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
if you insist on sand blasting, let it "season" out side for a while. a fine coat of rust will develope.

rust is a protective barrier that prevents further damage. but untreated, rust continues to grow itself.

but the por 15 takes advatage of fine rust as a barrier while preventing further growth by locking out air and moisture the things it needs to grow.

its like the bacteria that lives on your skin. you need it to live. you WILL die without it. but if it grew outta control that wouldnt be good either.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
That sounds just like this rust converter stuff I used on a patch of rust on my old car...can't remember, but it actually converts the rust and makes it inert. It creates a super hard protective barrier against the elements. I just sprayed this crap and left it be. It worked.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hmmm... this sounds *very* interesting: must say I haven't known there's such a thing :-O

Do I understand right there's more or less *no* preparation? Just hose the rusty parts so as there's no loose dirt, brush or spray it with POR-15, and I am done with rust for years to come? That easy?!?

Incidentally, what to do with parts of the body where the rust go sorta out of hand, like this

? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think Joe has a point here. I have heard this from Naval shipyard workers.

Mac

joe swinehart said:
if you insist on sand blasting, let it "season" out side for a while. a fine coat of rust will develope.

rust is a protective barrier that prevents further damage. but untreated, rust continues to grow itself.

but the por 15 takes advatage of fine rust as a barrier while preventing further growth by locking out air and moisture the things it needs to grow.

its like the bacteria that lives on your skin. you need it to live. you WILL die without it. but if it grew outta control that wouldnt be good either.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In that case, I'll have it blasted and bring it home and let it sit for a while. Then all do that other stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts