Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finished up rebuilding/painting the vent windows I know the gloss paint is not correct but I think it looks better (to me anyway)
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Have you started on the engine yet?
If not... my opinion...so take it for what it's worth. You'd be better to start with a 360.
Bigger mains give you more strength in the bottom end. Kits are more readily available. And you'll instantly have more horsepower with the added cubic inches. There's really no price difference.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The engine is at the machine shop now. I'm using the 318  because it's what I had. I know the 360 adds more cubes but what do I do with the 318? Not many seem to want one, but I like them, and I know what's wrong with it. Buying a used engine the condition is unknown. The machine shop said the same as you about the 360 (they wondered why I didnt want an ls motor) the 390 stroker will be fine for me (and I'm having it built so I can later add a torqstorm supercharger when funds are available) between the stroker kit and the supercharger It will be all an old fella like me needs.
Rob

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Moparbob1987 said:
The engine is at the machine shop now. I'm using the 318 because it's what I had. I know the 360 adds more cubes but what do I do with the 318? Not many seem to want one, but I like them, and I know what's wrong with it. Buying a used engine the condition is unknown. The machine shop said the same as you about the 360 (they wondered why I didnt want an ls motor) the 390 stroker will be fine for me (and I'm having it built so I can later add a torqstorm supercharger when funds are available) between the stroker kit and the supercharger It will be all an old fella like me needs.
Rob
Well the LS decision is a no brainer.
I'd rather have a hamster on a wheel than a Shivitte engine in my Mopar. ;D
Gag me with a spoon...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Kurt, I would really rather have a motor like yours. But my wife keeps saying we need to eat and pay bills. Now that I'm retired I can't work OT to buy extra toys.
Rob

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Moparbob1987 said:
Kurt, I would really rather have a motor like yours. But my wife keeps saying we need to eat and pay bills. Now that I'm retired I can't work OT to buy extra toys.
Rob
That's one of the reasons I won't retire. ;D
Even though I can now.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
magnum motor , block casting ,"upper"  head bolt threaded holes at / in the lifter galley . cracks thru bolt holes into lifter galley . beware .  318 stroker , interesting bore V/S stroke , I like the idea .. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, I will not being doing the 390 stroker. The machine shop called and said there's a casting flaw in the rear main cap and unless I wanted to do a stock only rebuild that they were not interested in having their name associated with the build. They did say that they could get another rear main cap but the associated machine work to make it work would be wasted money and I could get a 360 core for less than the machine work. So, now I'm trying to decide between a 5.7 hemi swap with a low mileage used engine, or get a 360 and do a 408 stroker ? If I do a hemi I'm going to get a carb style intake because I already purchased a Holley sniper efi kit. I'm interested in what you guys would do in my situation. I have found quite a few low mile (20k or less miles) hemis in the 2-3k price range.
Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Moparbob1987 said:
Well, I will not being doing the 390 stroker. The machine shop called and said there's a casting flaw in the rear main cap and unless I wanted to do a stock only rebuild that they were not interested in having their name associated with the build. They did say that they could get another rear main cap but the associated machine work to make it work would be wasted money and I could get a 360 core for less than the machine work. So, now I'm trying to decide between a 5.7 hemi swap with a low mileage used engine, or get a 360 and do a 408 stroker ? If I do a hemi I'm going to get a carb style intake because I already purchased a Holley sniper efi kit. I'm interested in what you guys would do in my situation. I have found quite a few low mile (20k or less miles) hemis in the 2-3k price range.
Thanks,
Rob
I realize your on a budget, so I would weigh the cost between the two. The 360 swap would be physically easier. Since the late model Hemi swap has a lot of extra issues involved. The new Hemi's are nice though. You'll end up with more horsepower with the 408.
It all depends on the availability of a low mileage 5.7 cheap enough. Or if you could score a 392... I would jump on that. That would roll your socks up and down. ;D

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would go with the 408.  5.7's are pricey for the swap, motor mounts and exhaust manifolds are the bare minimum on those, plus the intake and wiring of sensors. The 5.7 has many sensors that require lots of wires as well as a dedicated ECU that is very pricey based on what I have read. Basically all the parts are double the price IMO.  The 2 to 3k you spend just on the motor will be well used on almost all the parts for the 408 plus you will have a completely new engine because of all the machine work if you stick with the 408. 

Only possible problem is getting another bad block if you go the small block la/magnum route. 

But you could already have a bad cam/lifter situation in the 5.7 too. Or a cracked block/head if the 5.7 was in a wreck.   

Kurt said it right, you will have more power with the 408 overall.  Unless you go modding the 5.7.  The new head technology is almost impossible to beat.  Hence why the LS crowds are so popular, but their parts are cheaper too.  That is why LS swaps are in everything, even mopars. 

IMO if you are saving money, go 408.  If you have an unlimited budget for modding and tuning 5.7. 

Neil

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
neil4224 said:
I would go with the 408. 5.7's are pricey for the swap, motor mounts and exhaust manifolds are the bare minimum on those, plus the intake and wiring of sensors. The 5.7 has many sensors that require lots of wires as well as a dedicated ECU that is very pricey based on what I have read. Basically all the parts are double the price IMO. The 2 to 3k you spend just on the motor will be well used on almost all the parts for the 408 plus you will have a completely new engine because of all the machine work if you stick with the 408.

Only possible problem is getting another bad block if you go the small block la/magnum route.

But you could already have a bad cam/lifter situation in the 5.7 too. Or a cracked block/head if the 5.7 was in a wreck.

Kurt said it right, you will have more power with the 408 overall. Unless you go modding the 5.7. The new head technology is almost impossible to beat. Hence why the LS crowds are so popular, but their parts are cheaper too. That is why LS swaps are in everything, even mopars.

IMO if you are saving money, go 408. If you have an unlimited budget for modding and tuning 5.7.

Neil
Yeah. If money wasn't an object... at least mid- pricing things... might as well go with a SRT 392. Kinda like the difference with a 318 vs. a 360. Or a 383 vs. a 440. It's hard to argue the step up in Cubic Inches. Pretty much the same price building parts wise.
And those SRT 392's rip.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
I'd want to see the flaw ........... wait , I do wanna see the flaw .... how many miles did this motor have ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not sure of the miles, it's not the engine that came with the truck it has a different vin number stamped on it. It stunk bad once I dropped the oil thick and black, lots of sludge inside it.
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
o.k. being "frank" with ya , I was personally interested in a stroked 318 , because it is the only one that comes up with a bore V/S stroke that is out of square in the direction it is . All the other's have that relationship in the other direction . I suspect it would have made a lot of grunt .  318's are abundant ..... 

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey Jim, no cutout for the map light. When you order you can choose if you want the message center and the slot for the overdrive switch.
Rob

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a short bed frame I'm moving the cab too. This frame appears to be in excellent shape,no signs of damage anywhere just has some surface rust

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where did you get the new gaskets for the vent windows you rebuilt? Mine are coming up soon when i paint my doors.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts