Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
...hate to say it but it looks like it might be part of a cam bearing...

That was in the oil pump...or did you mean oil pan?

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
x2

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Definitely part of a cam bearing.  You can see the "lock" where the two ends meet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also think it’s a cam bearing after talking to a few people. I actually found it in the intake screen for the oil pump. Any chance I can fix this without pulling the engine? Also do I even need to fix it?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
cam bearings CAN be done with motor in truck , all but the rear one .....

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
teddythomas1998 said:
I also think it's a cam bearing after talking to a few people. I actually found it in the intake screen for the oil pump. Any chance I can fix this without pulling the engine? Also do I even need to fix it?
...I wasn't sure it was possible to r&r cam bearings with the engine 'in the car', but even so replacing cam bearings isn't something even I would try to do. And ditto 'yes' to fixing it.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
YOU ? really ?  yes you need the tool but its easy , just be sure to line up the holes right ... they go right in ;)

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Pull the engine and take it to a machine shop.  Guaranteed if it's spit out a cam bearing, it's going to need more work than just replacing the cam bearings.  It is possible to replace them yourself, but considering the cost of the tool and the cost of possibly messing it up, I'd leave it to a machine shop.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Elwenil said:
Pull the engine and take it to a machine shop. Guaranteed if it's spit out a cam bearing, it's going to need more work than just replacing the cam bearings.
agreed

Elwenil said:
It is possible to replace them yourself, but considering the cost of the tool and the cost of possibly messing it up, I'd leave it to a machine shop.
...that's why I wouldn't do it - it's got to be perfect, and as stated above if it needs cam bearings it won't be long until is need a lot more...

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Personally, I'd get a cheap salvage yard engine and rebuild that. Then your down time is the fastest swap. You'll have the luxury of time doing the rebuild right

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you having oil pressure problems?  Is that why you dropped the oil pan?

Have you owned the truck long, could it be the engine was rebuilt befoe you bought it and they failed to clean the screen?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dropped the oil pan because I had a leak in the rear main seal. I got that all fixed up now. My oil pressure is about 10-25 at idle and right above 50 at cruising speed. Also I definitely don’t have the funds or the time or resources to get this fixed based on what i’ve Heard from y’all so far so I guess i’ll Have to start saving some money and drive it how it is for as long as I can. I don’t hear nothing out of the ordinary and the truck runs fine. Thanks y’all for the help.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My guess if that is a cam bearing, then the cam bearing spun in block before coming apart.  Cam bearing bore is toast & would need to be bored & an oversize bearing used to save this block... Not happening in the truck!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'm with Mr Watson. If this engine were missing a cam bearing I think it would be noticeable during its operation.

Bucky

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
It depends. If someone had that engine apart and didn't clean something that large out of the screen, I wouldn't want to trust the rest of their work. If the cam bearing did spin, it may have blocked off the oil passage, so no major drop in pressure, but it also means it may have blocked off oil to the rocker shaft, depending on which bearing spun. If at all possible, I would try and investigate to find what is really going on.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You could always take the intake off just to see if anything looks weird.  I know you can't see everything but hey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it is a PITA but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  I would pull the engine.  If one bearing met this fate then likely the rest are at bare minimum scored.  I would pull the engine and check for scoring on the cam, crank, rod journals, and bores.  Reassemble after a healthy machine of any scored surface & cleaning then assemble with new parts so you have an engine that won't leave you stranded when you need it most.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.