Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...614269&threadid=12445&perpage=15&pagenumber=2 Although the pictures dont show, I cannot ask him if he could because Im not a member. It requires me to buy their magazine first. ::)

ANyway they say the C8.3L weighs 300lbs more then the 5.9 and has something like 1000lbs of tq. 4inches longer then the 5.9 and thats about all I could find. Plus he had to use a 9 speed Tranny, basically he turned it to a small semi truck with a pickup body on it.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I've seen stuff like this before. In one case I've seen someone stuff a 3208 Cat into a Chebby pick up.

While it can be fun to drive around and a heck of a pulling rig. The big fun is watching someone learn how to drive, for the first time, a truck with a real diesel and 9 speed tranny ;D

My only concern is weight. The engine is heavier and so is the tranny. I didn't catch the part that said this truck was a 4wd or 2wd. But if you want a 4wd with that engine and tranny, you're gonna need a pair of rockwells, because you are beyond the capabilities of a Dana 60

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
just finished drive line install on cummins 8.3 with allison 5spd auto and triple 5 ton rockwells (10x10).

but as far as driveabilty it is very smooth power doesnt come in to soft or hard. felt very much like a car steers very nicely even from a stand still. it aint a high way beast tho.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any info on your build? Truck model, year, suspension upgrade to handle the eextra 300lbs vs the 5.9, which is like 1100lbs itself.

Anyway I read that the guy put a short driveshaft bewteen the tranny and a NP205 transfercase and then he feeds the power to a 10.25 ford or something like that in the back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So in reality, thats a 600lb real semi truck transmission, My dad owns a couple semis and the clutch is very hard to press down compared to a regular manual transmission automobile. Whats the point in that then, thats basically a semitruck on a smaller frame.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Sug said:
So in reality, thats a 600lb real semi truck transmission, My dad owns a couple semis and the clutch is very hard to press down compared to a regular manual transmission automobile. Whats the point in that then, thats basically a semitruck on a smaller frame.
The difference is you only need to use the clutch from a stop, then you shift up and down without it, what can be easier? ;D

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No powershifts though, you'd have to wait till the rpms comes down to change gears, plus if the transmissions a syncro then it would only work. I asked my dad if he knew of any 9 speeds like that, which are smaller in size, say the ones used on the small bobcats, if those transmissions where physically smaller then the huge 18wheeler trannies. I know you RXT, do drive semi trucks and probably are more knowledgable, so do you think they make 9 speeds any smaller then the versions available in the 18 wheelers?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Sug said:
I know you RXT, do drive semi trucks and probably are more knowledgable, so do you think they make 9 speeds any smaller then the versions available in the 18 wheelers?
Yes they do. Heres an Eaton-Fuller 9 speed;

http://www.roadranger.com/csee/MungoBlobs/trsl012-0500,4.pdf

These are found in medium duty trucks (Mostly in small semi configurations)

The E-F truck tranny shown is smaller than what you would find in a big tractor trailer, but it's still a big and heavy unit compared to your typical light truck tranny. BTW you're not likely to wear out the clutch, unless you drive 120K miles, and there isn't a big block that can break it. ;D

BTW, so long as you can match your road speed to the gear selection, and your engine's rpm, it's possible to powershift a big rig tranny.

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, so the trannies listed are from about 580lbs to about 620lbs or so, add in the 8.3L 1400lb monster diesel and thats about one ton just in the engine/trans combo excluding the transfer case plus other stuff. I'm assuming at the most a regular transmission behind a 5.9L would probably be 250lbs, so 400lbs extra of the engine + about 350lbs on the 9 speed and thats an easy 750 extra pounds.

Mostly all of this weigh would be focused on the front end, how do they make this work? Add counter weight in the back of the pickup? Also what about the frame, box the frame and add extra crossmembers and possibly adding a 1/4inch thick plate to the exterior sides of the chasiss? I know this would be a mostly one of a kind truck good for towing, but economically, would it still give good mileage? Maybe 15mpg, anyway how much do these kinds of transmissions go for? Are they really expensive to get, any good used years that might be good to pick from? Also would you happen to know what kind of smaller version semi trucks come with the C series Cummins, or would it be easier and cheaper to find one out of a Motorhome?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Sug said:
Hmm, so the trannies listed are from about 580lbs to about 620lbs or so, add in the 8.3L 1400lb monster diesel and thats about one ton just in the engine/trans combo excluding the transfer case plus other stuff. I'm assuming at the most a regular transmission behind a 5.9L would probably be 250lbs, so 400lbs extra of the engine + about 350lbs on the 9 speed and thats an easy 750 extra pounds.
And one ton is 2000lbs. The extra 750lbs is just short of a 1/2 ton of extra weight.

Mostly all of this weigh would be focused on the front end, how do they make this work? Add counter weight in the back of the pickup?
In a medium duty truck, a box or van type truck would have the weight of the box and whatever is the expected load weight. In a semi configuration, you'd have a fifth wheel and the weight of the trailer. Also consider that these types of trucks have much bigger rear axles and in a truck design, they try to keep the weight of everything else down. In a pick up truck you would likley have more front end weight, but with the heavy tranny, some weight will be shifted towards the rear

Also what about the frame, box the frame and add extra crossmembers and possibly adding a 1/4inch thick plate to the exterior sides of the chasiss?
You'd be better off starting with a one ton frame, and plan to go with more if you want to haul with a truck like this. For the ultimate in strength you could use the frame from a medium duty truck.

I know this would be a mostly one of a kind truck good for towing, but economically, would it still give good mileage? Maybe 15mpg,
Although diesels get better fuel mileage than gas engines, weight still plays an important part of the economy figure. The engine and tranny are heavy to begin with. To support the weight and allow you to haul a load with it, you'll need a heavier frame, and heavier axles. Add up all of the added mass, and you're not likely to get 15mpg. Our medium duty tractors weigh about 10,000lbs, these have big diesel engines, 9 speed trannys, heavy frames, and a big axle. They generally get 10 mpg without the trailer.

anyway how much do these kinds of transmissions go for? Are they really expensive to get, any good used years that might be good to pick from?
The price of the trannys vary. they can be pricy for a used tranny and go up to very expensive (Based on your local market) You're in a different world when you buy big truck parts, but you'll need to do the shopping.

Also would you happen to know what kind of smaller version semi trucks come with the C series Cummins, or would it be easier and cheaper to find one out of a Motorhome?
C series engines are usually found in med to heavy duty trucks. Motorhomes such as bus type coaches may have them. However for the weight the 5.9 Cummins is much more practical and capable of producing as much horsepower and torque as the 8.3

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts