1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is the wrong board but yaw seem pretty smart
ok here goes
i got a 89 ford crew cab 4x4 7.3diesel today
the guy that had it thought the injector pump was out so he used starting fluid to start it but it would die 10secs later
it started doing this like 8 years ago so he parked it
i looked at it and couldnt find out y the fuel wasnt getting to the filter
i checked all the lines and pump
then i hit the tank and wow its empty
so i put 10 gal in it and it wouldnt start unless i used starting fluid
this time it stayed running and ran very well
if i kill it while its warm it will start but if i waight till it cools down it wont start unless i use s/f
is it the glow plugs or is there something else i can look at
let me know plz

thanks robert

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
There was a 7.3 that used glow plugs and the later Powerstroke 7.3 that has no glow plugs. If yours has glow plugs, it's possible the controller or some of the glow plugs are not working.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The glow plugs should get very hot when you apply power to them. All they are is a heating element. Sometimes the tips break off, then they don't work, or the glow plug controller goes out.

Ed

G

·
Get a glow plug relay from the parts store first, it looks like one of the old ford starter solenoids. If that doesn't fix it, then change the glow plugs. The glow plugs are expensive, about 8-10 bucks each.

Chris

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I searched on Google and found this for you to look at. It deals with all kind of Fords with diesels. Just find what category your truck is under and join the forum,then you should be able to ask away on questions etc. Hope this helps

Man I'm real good,type up a post but then don't post a link<-jacka$$ Here it is for you

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

Jimbo

·
Registered
82 Posts
RXT said:
There was a 7.3 that used glow plugs and the later Powerstroke 7.3 that has no glow plugs. If yours has glow plugs, it's possible the controller or some of the glow plugs are not working.

Ed
I have never known any 7.3/s with out glow plugs. The newer ones are under the valve covers but they still do indeed have em.
Please dont think im trying to make fun of anyone because I know that RXT probobly has forgotten more than I know. I m just stating what I think is fact, If not please let me know?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
muddyforeman said:
RXT said:
I have never known any 7.3/s with out glow plugs. The newer ones are under the valve covers but they still do indeed have em.
Please dont think im trying to make fun of anyone because I know that RXT probobly has forgotten more than I know. I m just stating what I think is fact, If not please let me know?
I'm sorry, you are correct. I haven't kept up with Ford / Internation engines for sometime.

Ed

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought so, I know they were a true PITA to change on father in laws 97 stroke. I d rather beat myself in the foot with a tackhammer as do it again! It would be nice if the rest of the world could catch up to cummins and make an engine that doesnt rely on glow plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.