Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Gearz and had ted nugents bronco on there. One thing that I wanted to know more about was it had 2 lights side by side in the middle of the roof that folded down into a recess in the roof. Couldnt find anything more about that setup. One thing I am working out is the recess filling up with water, but drain tubes and how are the controlled? Inside or manually outside. I like the inside idea. Just something that got me thinking.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
To me it doesn't look like there is a recess, just that the lights fold flat against the roof.  Most of the better rally lights have the mounts pretty close to the edge of the lens so that if the mount were a little off the roof, as with the roof rack, they could be folded flat.  Looking at the video of the show where they repainted the truck, it doesn't look like there was any recess made into the roof.

688 Posts
That is an old school light set up from the 1980's and early 1990's.  A lot of the old dodge race trucks used that set up and it is still very effective although not in style with the times. Here are some pics of other truck that used that set up. Yes they have a recess in the roof and a lever to place the lights into different possitions

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Do you have any pics of the recess?  No roof repairs were mentioned on the Nugent Bronco and honestly, I can't see how such a small recess for the light to flip down into is even worth the effort.

688 Posts
Honestly it doesn't look like there is much of a recces if any on Ted's ferd. I don't have any pics of the recess but I used to own the bottom truck of those pics and the recess was about 4" deep.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
i cant find it, but parnelli jones had an early bronco with a similar set up. it was a full row of lights that folded down towards the front into a recess. it was controlled manually from inside and looked pretty cool.

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
They used to make those as one assembly. You cut a rectangular hole in your roof, and drop them in. the underside on it has the controls for the lights.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
SuperBurban said:
They used to make those as one assembly. You cut a rectangular hole in your roof, and drop them in. the underside on it has the controls for the lights.
Then they double as dome\map reading lights ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Interesting.  Learn something new every day I suppose.  Still not 100% on why they needed to fold into the roof.  I totally see the point of them folding down but maybe this was made more for the old style lights the size of KC Daylighters or something instead of more modern halogens that have a much thinner profile?

688 Posts
I have a buddy that still has one of the light set ups from my old truck.  I will see if he will send me some pictues of it for you to see a little more of the design.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Cool deal.  As you may have guessed, I have about zero knowledge about desert racing and related stuff, lol.

688 Posts
Elwenil said:
Cool deal. As you may have guessed, I have about zero knowledge about desert racing and related stuff, lol.
Funny you say that because I grew up in the desert and the majority of trucks I have built have all been desert related. Now that I live in Florida where desert trucks are obsolete I have to rethink my strategies and look at new ideas for the terrain I am in.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
IIRC Bill Stroppe designed these for the Big Oly Bronco back in the '60s. Nowadays they build them off the rear down bar/main hoop connection just behind the cab using linear actuators.
Couldn't find a good picture but here's an explanation;
Originally Posted by Geronimo 
Originally Posted by bobDog 
Okay I didn't even search for this but in the mid Baja 1000 days one of the famous racers who ran broncos and always won had a great system for lights that had a ratacthing interior handle in his roof that either put up his light bar or folded it down.....if you guys don't find it I'll try to when I have time....must of been early 80's maybe....the lights had indents in the roof to nest in.
That was a Bill Strope set up, found on PJ's Big Oly Broncos and Manny Esquerra's Rangers. Someone made a fiberglass insert at some point but I haven't seen one in years. The electric actuated ones are very nice for adjusting lights at speed, and has become standard on high end race cars. Morphic and Baja Concepts(Soltek) make kits.
It goes back a little further than that. At least one of the std Stroppe EB racers was fitted with such a system prior to Big Oly getting it. A friend in AZ is 1/2 owner of that EB and it is slowly being returned to it's vintage race fitment and condition.
It is not a ratchet on that truck, it is a semi-circular guide and the handle screws down to pinch the guide and lock the setting in place. The whole system would not work well on a vehicle whose roof is highly valued.......

On a friend's race truck I copied the design of my then crew chief for LocosMocos.com and used a fixed stop combined with 2 gas springs. That way any branches that might hurt the lights would instead deflect the whole light bar, and the once clear the gas springs will return the lights to their full, upright position. I used a De-Sta-co clamp to hold the lights in the retracted position. Popping the clamp loose allows the gas springs to erect the light bar.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Here's some more pics
Look closely in the Walker Evans truck and what's left of the bottom truck (Goobtech Racing, was that you?) and you can see part of the mechanism.

Attachments

688 Posts
fal308 said:
Here's some more pics
Look closely in the Walker Evans truck and what's left of the bottom truck (Goobtech Racing, was that you?) and you can see part of the mechanism.
Wow that's and old picture of the truck right after pick up the Yokohama sponsor. That was after rolling down 6 mile canyon in Virgina City. I haven't seen that picture in years.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Don't really want to hijack this thread but you might think about starting a thread detailing your racing, all aspects of it; the racing stories, wins and losses, why you think/know what happened when/where/why/how, the tech side of building, racing and maintaining a truck, social experiences etc. And pictures!!  I've actually got a pic of your RC pulling the race car as my desktop at work right now.
I know that I, for one, would be entralled. I've been into desert racing since the mid-70s growing up. My favorite of all is the old class 4 cars. Growing up and living in the midwest there weren't a lot of places to go watching desert racing except when it was on TV. The first magazine I ever subscribed to, when I was 14 or so, was Off Road. That was so I could get my Baja fix!

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
that is just darn cool.

688 Posts
Zane Bullock the son of the guy that drove and origonally build the truck is currently restoring the RC. Both trucks are amazing.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
So you were actually involved with racing Dodge trucks in the desert?  I had no idea you were into that sort of thing.  I also would be interested in any stories or tech you have collected over the years about your experiences.  Living over here to the far right I never had anything to do with deserts or racing in them but I would love to hear more about it if you would want to type it up.  Old racing stories are cool no matter what type of racing it is.  ;D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.