Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on new flooring for my 77 Trailduster.
Carpet vs vinyl? ACC vs LMC?
Has anyone bought flooring from LMC truck? Does the carpet for a 77 have the little loops like the original? It is called loop pile, I just can't see what it looks like, close up on the web site.

I don't like the fuzzy cut pile that ACC  makes, I like the original loop carpet.  It just doesn't seem fit the character of the truck, too modern.

I like the idea of vinyl, especially for driving topless, and easy clean up. LMC claims to have 1/8" thick vinyl. That is thicker than the sample I got from Stock interiors. I have never had vinyl flooring in a vehicle, so I don't know of any negatives.

Any one with experience with these aftermarket flooring choices, please respond with your opinion of the product.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
where I am carpet  AND the jute padding is a wet problem . If I had a choice I'd make it on the intended use of the truck . Dirty boots , vinyl , a wisk brush , bucket of soapy water ,some armoral type stuff ... show / sunday go to meetin truck , clean boots, carpet . in either case , water proof sound deadening under it sealed TO the painted floor so water cannot lay under it , where you are , may NOT be an issue ?  ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's dry here. So if water does get in, it won't be much, and it will dry quickly. I will paint the floor. I do have some  butyl and foil sound deadening insulation. If I cross a river, and get it wet. I think both will trap water underneath. Carpet usually has some kind of a backing that will trap water. It's a drive in the dirty desert truck, so I will probably get the vinyl. At a feed store recently, they had some bulk rubber mat with diamond plate tread on it, that may be an option.

I would still like to here reviews of the various aftermarket flooring products.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
                    That jute padding is what rots out floors. I want to change to vinyl in the ram charger but no need to yet.  I like the black rubbery vinyl whatever you wanna call it in my 01 2500 easy-peasy.  Clean it with simple green and it shines black. Looks like you Armor All it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jungle said:
I buy my carpets here;
https://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?ModelId=162&MainCatId=1

I've had great luck with them!!
Jim
I have samples from Stock interiors. They have good prices. I asked LMC truck about samples, but no response. But, it looks like Stock interiors only offers the vinyl for the passenger area only. Auto obsession has the passenger and cargo area vinyl kits from ACC.
https://www.autoobsession.com/moldedcarpet24-wd1974-82ramchargerand74-81trailduster.aspx?variation=435704

So, I may have to order from them.
Jeffy45 said:
That jute padding is what rots out floors. I want to change to vinyl in the ram charger but no need to yet. I like the black rubbery vinyl whatever you wanna call it in my 01 2500 easy-peasy. Clean it with simple green and it shines black. Looks like you Armor All it.
I do need insulation, I have a lot of heat coming through the firewall. I got some alternative insulation. I hope it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Waterproof-Insulation-Self-Adhesive-Deadening/dp/B07FYLM47D/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=Noico&qid=1564098461&s=automotive&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Should work fine.  How thick are the other companies vinyl floor mats might just be the same thing LMC is selling?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LMC lists that they have 1/8" vinyl, the sample I got from Stock interiors interiors measures 3/32", I think it may be made by ACC, because the color code numbers match, but I'm not sure. I have not gotten a sample from LMC to measure.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The thin stuff without any kind of padding to hold moisture looks nice . Or just spraying it with lizard skin. I my self don't like anything that can hold moisture. 

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Thermo Guard looks good. For me, moisture is not a big problem, we get 7 inches of rain a year. The steel on cars here will last 50 years outside with only surface rust. It's the plastics and paint that get destroyed by the sun in about 15 years. My paint on the Trailduster is still good, with only surface rust where the paint was damaged. Clear coat on newer cars seems to fail in 10 to 15 years on a car that is outside all the time.

I'll treat any existing rust with Ospho rust converter, and put some paint on it. I only have lite surface rust.

The thermo guard may be good over the Buytal sound insulation.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the ACC beige  Vinyl from auto obsession. Should get it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Beige vinyl ,sounds interesting

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeffy45 said:
Beige vinyl ,sounds interesting
It is a close enough match to my tan interior, and tan soft top. Also, being a lighter color than black, it , hopefully, won't get as hot in direct sun light. Also, it won't show the dust.

Also, if I ever reupholster my seats, and I don't go with original cloth, I may use waxed canvas, in a tan or green. I think that would go well together.
This link shows the original interior.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1977/77_Trail_Duster_0002.jpg

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That looks nice

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jungle said:
I can't find any pre made upholstery like that for a 70's truck. I can order reproduction cloth and vinyl for the seats, and sew it my self, or pay a shop. The cloth from SMS is expensive. I dont have the quote right here, but is was about $ 130/yard for the cloth, and about $90/yard for the vinyl. Waxed canvas is about $20/yard.

https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/1977-plymouth/model-trail-duster-suv

The seats can wait for a while.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
ummmm yeah high back buckets only ......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.