Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal. I have a 76 dodge pickup slant six with three speed that I have been driving for years with the stock column shifter. Well, the thing finally got so hard to shift that I decided to install a floor shifter I bought several years ago and spent all afternoon cutting a hole in the floor, bolting on the brackets , removing the stock linkage,etc.. When I got ready to bolt the shifter body to the brackets I discovered that the shifter arms hit the tranny cross member before the bolts line up! Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem? ??? I wouldn't mind fixing the original column shift but I think the problem now is the column itself and not just the worn bushings in the linkage. Has anyone out there fixed one of these? Are parts available? :\'(

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Try fliping the tranny shift levers to the top. If this doesnt work try grinding the corners. I did this on my TrailDuster (Before I ended up changing the trans to a 4 speed) Its a pain yes but it can be done. :D Wyatt

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I had problems on the trans its self the shift levers I forget against what. I had to round the corners of the levers on the trans. I had to fight with the linkage on the trans almost constantly until it jamed in third. The reason for the four speed. Have you tried shortening the rods? or raising the mount point of the shifter? Are there diferent holes in the throw rods if so move the the rods up and shorten them Wyatt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess since I am off work tomorrow I will examine shortening the levers or raising the mount a little. If I raise the mount much the shifter mechanism will be up in the cab and the angle on the shifter rods may be excessive. Yesterday I was too tired to face trying to figure out modifications and I was hoping someone would have a solution that did not involve taking those brackets loose.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
if it were me i would toss that 3 speed and install an np435, would give you an extra gear, also oyu would lose the shift levers that are hitting.

other than that, you are looking at one of the suggestions above, or possibly having to cut a groove in the cross member, or relocating the cross member

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
grntrk said:
What's an np435?
it is a new process 435 4-speed transmission. it is one of hte more common manual trannies found in dodge trucks.

it offers a 6.68:1 first(granny) gear, an almost 8:1 reverse gear, and will bolt right into your truck with the proper bell housing. only problem you may encounter is the need for a different length driveshaft, which are plentiful.

i did this swap in an 82 shortbed i had and found that a standard truck driveshaft worked fine.

eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I wanted some idea so I didn't get ripped off if I found one.
Discussing swapping trannys reminds me that I was considering swapping in a od 4speed out of an Aspen I know of in a pull- your- part j/y.The overdrive would be helpful on the highway but I wonder if I would be opening up a can of worms with driveshaft mods etc. I have to use my truck to get to work so I can't tear it apart for an extended period.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
grntrk said:
Thanks I wanted some idea so I didn't get ripped off if I found one.
Discussing swapping trannys reminds me that I was considering swapping in a od 4speed out of an Aspen I know of in a pull- your- part j/y.The overdrive would be helpful on the highway but I wonder if I would be opening up a can of worms with driveshaft mods etc. I have to use my truck to get to work so I can't tear it apart for an extended period.
the a-833 4-speed would swap in as well with the proper bell housing, one thing though, if you use your truck for much towing or heavy hauling i would go to the 435, i ended up trashing my overdive transmission in my truck due to alot of towing, that is why i did the swap. also the 833 has external shift levers as well on the driver side

eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far I have redrilled the main bracket for the shifter to place it as high as possible and cut the bottom holes off of the shifters levers. I seem to have some clearance but I don't have it bolted up tight yet. I 'll have to get the wife or someone to hold one wrench while I turn the nut. More later.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I thought after this long I should check back in with a progress report.
After trying for several hours on three or four different days to get the floor shifter to work righr I gave up and fixed the column shifter. At least it is better than it has been for a long time. The bushings in the shifter arms at the column were completely worn out and almost ready to fall out and I couldn't find any stock replacements which is why I decided to try the floor shifter conversion in the first place. Anyway, after going to four different auto parts stores and havig no luck finding a grommet with the proper outside and inside diameter to fit the stock bronze insert a parts guy offered to let me look at an assortment of grommets for pcv valves that some clod had stolen one from. I found two that had the correct inside and outside diameters but of course where much too long where they go down into the valve cover. I paid him 73 cents and took them home. I carefully cut the excess off of each grommet with a sharp hobby knife and inserted the bronze bushings out of the old grommets and it was a perfect fit. After I adjusted the linkage per the repair manual it all works! I sure learned that lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey, anyone want to trade me a NP435 for a working 727 4x4 tranny? Seriously!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:D Just checking back in to say that that the old column shifter is still working with the new bushings in the column levers. Anyone know what the part number is for the swivel-type ends that attach the shift rods to the transmission shift levers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts