Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncles van has a cold start problem I havent seen before. Info 76 Dodge B200 440 with a carter AFB. The problem is if you touch the throttle with it cold it floods badly. Once its been started and ran for the day it sarts and runs beautifull. If you dont hit the gas it cranks for a bit (may flood about 50-50 itll start) you can smell the raw gas in the cab of the van. It isnt leaking on the intake. ???

·
2,317 Posts
might have a float sticking or maybe out of adjustment.is it manual or electric choke?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a manuel choke I put an electric one on and adjusted it properly. Hummm stuck float is that common on new carbs? The engine trans everything carb included only have about 2000 miles since rebuilt (engine - trans) or replaced. I did have to adjust the carb to get it through emmisions. It just bearly failed the fisrt shot passed with flying colors the second. Its just a cold start flood without the choke closed.

·
2,317 Posts
floats will stick sometimes if there is dirt floating around.check the voltage at the choke when the key is first turned on and see if it holds constant.might need to lean the choke.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got 12 volts at the choke I / we were having this problem before I changed it to an electric. I believe if anything I've got it set lean if you bump the throtle to set the choke closed at all its flooded. if i get some time tommorow I'll pull the top off of it or pull the carb off of my RC.

·
2,317 Posts
the choke when closed should not be all the way shut. there should be alittle gap.what rpm set at fast idle? maybe its not high enough.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it floods with the choke open engine cold. Once started its fine the rest of the day its just the original start for the day

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE it was a cracked float bowl next Question since I no longer have a carb on my truck. :( I've been pricing new carbs should I go with a edelbrock 600 or a 700? (440 with a performer manifold Carter AFB came off no idea on CFM) the carb on my RC was the exact same model that was on the van also a 440 but bone stock otherwise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts