Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an issue that I'm almost certain is just the switch on the dashboard but I wanted to run it past every one on here as old Mopar's are still rather new to me. I have an 88 D150 and when you turn on the headlights they come on but almost every time after about 20 minutes they will start flickering on and off. If you turn them off and turn them back off again then they will be fine until the next time you drive the truck it seems like. I'm guessing the old pull switch is just getting hanky and but I wanted to fly it past the community in case some one knows of some weird thing that would be causing this in these old trucks.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the dimmer switch contacts may be dirty . try switching high/low high/low a few times when the problem happens IF you notice a difference , it could be that switch , could be any connection to both headlamps failing under load . including the headlamp switch .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i suppose the issue could be tied to the high beams as well. The truck when i got it last year required quite a bit of tinkering to fix and the highbeam switch located on the collumn appeared to broke because no amount of actuation of the arm would make it function. Iv been putting it off because to get access to the metal arm it seems like you have to pull the wheel and iv been a little to lazy to buy the wheel puller tool. The steel arm appears to be out of track with the switch and the switch when manually operated does not want to make any diffinitive click.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
well if you have a "known" problem effecting the headlights , I'd start with that , it may not cure this problem but it will be 1 step better , I think the headlamp dimmer switch may be rod operated , adjustable ,and bolted to the lower part of steering column ... not 100% sure on the '88  , maybe 90%  LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.