Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
maachine said:
Ya that will cause problems. Try deleting a bunch of stuff you don't need and see if that helps. If it starts working, I'd defrag.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Started to, might get an external hard drive for some of the stuff, thanks.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
crazzywolfie said:
i don't think a full c drive would cause a computer to shut off but it would cause it to run slower and work harder. with a computer that is about nearly 12 years old i don't think the hard drive in it would be that big.
This does make sense.

It is an 80g memory.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
maachine said:
I had a friend that had a similar problem problem. He cleaned up some memory and it was fixed. Its worth a shot anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It is, thanks.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
a 80GB hard drive is tiny by todays standards. my laptop is about 4-5 years old and has a 500GB hard drive.  a lot of newer computers have about a 320GB or larger hard drive.

have you done a disk cleanup? if can help you clean up some of the garbage file that windows creates.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
crazzywolfie said:
a 80GB hard drive is tiny by todays standards. my laptop is about 4-5 years old and has a 500GB hard drive. a lot of newer computers have about a 320GB or larger hard drive.

have you done a disk cleanup? if can help you clean up some of the garbage file that windows creates.
Yep, done the disk cleanup, ran two different types of malware, can't defrag until I have some room for it to work with.

Saw a laptop with a Terabyte of memory.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im just throwing this out there, Have you downloaded any updates lately. Windows ( I dont think they stil produce XP updates) or any of your drivers. There could be some corruption somewhere. Maybe you have a new program installed or device connected to the computer? Can you reset your computer to a save point in the past when it was working again? its usually cheap to just replace the part when you have a desktop, the powersupply does wear out over time and could use replacing? I dont imagine you would need more than a 250 watt PSU which you could pick up on newegg for 20-40$. But i dont think it would just randomly cut off with the PSU, give it a good look over and make sure no metal is bent and touching where it doesn't look it should.

Sorry for the late post. Hope this helps some if you still have the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Ya, it's been 2 months. Where's the update?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks  for the inputs, I appreciate them.

Still not fixed. I'm still not working so I hate to spend money on old things.

I'm about convinced the processor doesn't have enough space to process data and all those electrons bouncing off each other heat it up and shuts it down.

Eh?

Should transfer the photo file to a moveable device and see what happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unclebull said:
the processor doesn't have enough space to process data and all those electrons bouncing off each other heat it up and shuts it down.
That would make you one EXTREMELY unlucky guy. If it still cuts on at all I would strongly recommend the system restore point and see where you end up after that

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not sure I have a system restore point, does XP have them?

I have done a system restore but only on newer machines.

Starting to lobby for a new computer, maybe an all-in-one with a big screen.

I do like my XP though.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Unclebull said:
Thanks for the inputs, I appreciate them.

Still not fixed. I'm still not working so I hate to spend money on old things.

I'm about convinced the processor doesn't have enough space to process data and all those electrons bouncing off each other heat it up and shuts it down.
that's not how processors work, and a full hard drive isnt why it's shutting down. processor have no permanent storage. a full hard drive can cause your machine to run terribly slow, but wont cause it to shut down unless it is going bad.

you either have a overheating processor, bad/failing power supply, a failing motherboard/BIOS, or some nastyware software.

have you felt of the heatsink on top of the processor after it has been running for a while? is it hot?

does your bios have a temp reading in it? many do.

turn the computer off

press the power button, and immediately start pressing the "F8" key until you get a menu.

select safe mode with networking.

see if it shuts down. if it does, you almost 100% have a hardware problem. if it doesnt, then something is misconfigured with your software.

safe mode does not load any of the drivers, programs, etc...that are not necessary. many viruses and malware are also dormant in safe mode, so if the software is causing the problem this should help prove that.

if you want you can do a voltage test on the power supply

it will only test voltage - it wont test the amperage. if the voltages vary much from +-12V, +-5V, and +-3.3V, then you have a bad power supply.

as someone else as said, check the motherboard, video card, and anything else with capacitors for ones that are leaking/failing

you can try to remove all but one of your memory modules and see if the behavior changes. if not, swap it out for another one. windows vista and 7 have built-in memory testing tools you can try first

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

you can also check your bios and turn off all power management features. i've seen buggy bioses cause this (a windows update can cause a conflict with a bug in the APM/ACPI and shut machines down at random. we had a batch of machines in one of our labs at the university i teach (i teach the A+ pc repair stuff, among other things) at that rebooted at random after a service pack was installed until the vendor released a bios update).

·
Registered
49 Posts
mcritch said:
that's not how processors work, and a full hard drive isnt why it's shutting down. processor have no permanent storage. a full hard drive can cause your machine to run terribly slow, but wont cause it to shut down unless it is going bad.

you either have a overheating processor, bad/failing power supply, a failing motherboard/BIOS, or some nastyware software.

have you felt of the heatsink on top of the processor after it has been running for a while? is it hot?

does your bios have a temp reading in it? many do.

turn the computer off

press the power button, and immediately start pressing the "F8" key until you get a menu.

select safe mode with networking.

see if it shuts down. if it does, you almost 100% have a hardware problem. if it doesnt, then something is misconfigured with your software.

safe mode does not load any of the drivers, programs, etc...that are not necessary. many viruses and malware are also dormant in safe mode, so if the software is causing the problem this should help prove that.

if you want you can do a voltage test on the power supply

it will only test voltage - it wont test the amperage. if the voltages vary much from +-12V, +-5V, and +-3.3V, then you have a bad power supply.

as someone else as said, check the motherboard, video card, and anything else with capacitors for ones that are leaking/failing

you can try to remove all but one of your memory modules and see if the behavior changes. if not, swap it out for another one. windows vista and 7 have built-in memory testing tools you can try first

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

you can also check your bios and turn off all power management features. i've seen buggy bioses cause this (a windows update can cause a conflict with a bug in the APM/ACPI and shut machines down at random. we had a batch of machines in one of our labs at the university i teach (i teach the A+ pc repair stuff, among other things) at that rebooted at random after a service pack was installed until the vendor released a bios update).
What he said...That was pretty in depth..Dont believe you can get a more detailed response. I would certainly start with the safemode,to see if it is a software issue or not first(Being thats the cheapest fix) and just start crossing problems off your list as you do the different test he mentioned.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you both, I'm reluctant to do stuff to the computer without a step-by-step and as he said, this appears to be pretty comprehensive.

I will try this and let you know.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got tired of it shutting off so I bought a new HP.

8g ram, 1T hard drive under $500.00

Should last a while

And things now load quickly and I can have more than 2 windows and tabs open at a time.

Should have done this much earlier.

Thank you all for you advise, I appreciate your help.

Bill

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
just some back info. back a few years i was looking to rpl my desktop. looked at and researched several makes. one thing that stood out re emachines pc was that the ps was barely adequate as built. the ps would not support much or any system upgrades. so i passed on emachine. ==sheriff==

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
sheriff said:
just some back info. back a few years i was looking to rpl my desktop. looked at and researched several makes. one thing that stood out re emachines pc was that the ps was barely adequate as built. the ps would not support much or any system upgrades. so i passed on emachine. ==sheriff==
Yep, I agree, it was adequate for what I wanted it for; e-mail, surfing and light duty MSOffice work.
I did upgrade the memory to 2g and that was it, oh yes, the wireless went out and I needed to add an external wireless thingie.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts