·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we know your out there!

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
I used to fish alot as a child and got out of it. I'm thinking about teaching my son how to fish this summer. He'll be three but I think he'll understand the concept of fishing.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
teacing a 3 year old patience??? good luck

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
willy J said:
teacing a 3 year old patience??? good luck
Nope, just the beer drinking, and of course how to drive back from the watering hole.

Honestly, I am going to take him with me, see how he does, if he's ready then he'll continue to go out with me, if not we'll try again later. I used to love fishing and just haven't gone in the last few years.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Get a canoe, Best thing I got, even if they are bored with the fishing, you can just cruise around. Hell, I don't even paddle anymore! My 9 yo will paddle till she drops! lol

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
phoenix827 said:
Get a canoe, Best thing I got, even if they are bored with the fishing, you can just cruise around. Hell, I don't even paddle anymore! My 9 yo will paddle till she drops! lol
I've though about getting a boat, but then the registrations out here are crazy. The canoe isn't too bad of an idea.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Fishing. Man, I used to take my son all the time. He would go and not care if he ever caught anything. It was so much fun just watching him. Now I'm older as is he. Just waiting for him to come around so we can do this again.He's out of state working. Hopefully some thime this fall he'll be home again. In time for Ram Jam I hope. We did a lot of salt water fishing on the Texas coast and trout fishing in Idaho. I miss it and it's not the same with him not around :(

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yup, I fish. Mostly fly fishing in small brooks. Now that my son is a little older (4) I think I will be able to get some more fishing in than I did the last 3 years.

Hey DJ, he'll understand it. My son fished last year. It wasn't fishing as you and I know it, but more like I made sure we would catch fish every cast and then I let him reel them in. He loved it. I used worms and bobber and caught chub.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
That's all I am looking to do. Is have quality time with him. I was looking at fishing tackle this morning when we drove to town. I'm getting anxious. He's getting old enough to go do things with me now.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
3 is a great age. Last September (my son was 3) I took him on an 8 day canoe trip. THe neat thing is that at this age, they are growing by leaps and bounds, so their ability increases from week to week.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
It's strange when they are first born you don't know what to do with them then you try and take them everywhere and they get in the way. Then at about 2 and half my son wants to do everything daddy does.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Mudshark said:
It's strange when they are first born you don't know what to do with them then you try and take them everywhere and they get in the way. Then at about 2 and half my son wants to do everything daddy does.
Best feeling in the world as far as I'm concerned. :)

My son is already talking about what he wants to take with us on our trip in May.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd fish every day if I had more time. Right now becasue of a warm spell which melted snow and left lots of water on top of the ice, it is really hard to fish. Plus some lakes have already developed open spots. Hopefully next month all will be well though. I can't wait for summer.

Brian

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Coop, did you get him his own rod? We have one of the "kiddie" rods and I CAN'T STAND IT!! I would rather get them a decent 5'6"-6' rod and a closed face reel, (zebco 202?) and teach them to cast right. Zach should be old enough for it now, (5) I know Sam picked it up fast with a real rod, (might try her on my spin-cast this year), but Zach was DANGEROUS last year with the little one! lol

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
The best things I can say about the kiddie rods, is they are easier for them to handle, and easier for you to dodge. lol BUT! I think with a full sized rod, YOU have a bit more control over it. if you are in a boat, use the cheap one, that way if it goes swimming, it's not a big deal! ;D

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
We used a Zebco combo. It's not really a kiddie rod, but it's compact. I take it when I am worm fishing and walking through the woods following a stream. He didn't do any casting, I did that. This year I may try to teach him to cast a little. I am actually thinking about filing the barbs off the hooks when he starts to cast in case he hooks me or himself.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ya, I won't let them cast either unless I am about 10' away! lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts