Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new member, my first post here, but I have been floating around and checking out whats going onhere for a while.

Ok, my question.

I really like the 73 to 80(?) year Rams, like the grills alot. But those trucks are hard to find around here and usually when you find them theyre either rusted to the point of no return, or are redone and cost too much.

So would it be possible to get a newer one (say late 80s) and get a junkyard grill for it. Im sure that it wont be a bolt up thing, but bodywork isnt a big deal if I can get the truck the way I want it.

I also plan to lift the truck and get more (a lot) power out of it, power being my main object, heres my last question.

I was reading the NHRA power numbers for stock trucks and I compared the 83' 360 vs the 93' 360 theres a 40 HP difference between the two. So Id evenually probably end up doing a motor swap. but according to the nhra things the main differences are in the heads (valves, cams and compression I imagine) and I would like to know (to save tohe owrk of swapping motors) if it would be possible just to swap heads and cams to get it up to par with the newer trucks.

Thanks for your help in advance, and dotn worry about my horrible typing, my mind goes faster than my hands.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Swap the entire motor, the cam will go in but the lifters won't work out

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
welcome aboard man

swapping parts between the generations has been covered, but quite a while back. May try a search for more info, or wait and some more knowledgeable people than me will reply. I seem to remember the hood will swap over but the cowl will have to change too. For the grill, I think you need the fenders too, but then the body lines won't match the newer cab, but everything will bolt up. Will need the core support too. Something like that. I'm sure someone on here will be of more help.

I have the same typing problem.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Swap the entire motor, the cam will go in but the lifters won't work out
To use the new style heads on a older block you need to use AMC lifters as they oil throu the pushrod so it is posible but it will be more benficial to use the entire engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like it would be easier to swap the whole motor, eh?

Do the old trucks trannys have Overdrive?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
id rather swap the lifters. saves me money on buying another engine ;)

88-up has overdrive but i think some 88s were still 3spd TF727,

i dont believe you need new fenders.

another option that looks tasty in the grille section is a 91-93 grille either chrome, or color matched. either way it looks pretty decent. for that you either need a 91-93 core cupport or a torch.

there was an article about the torch method a while back. basically you cut the head light bracket out and move it up lke an inch or so so the head lights are centered in the head light pocet in the grille.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
btw the 93 has multi port fuel injection just so you know.

magnum heads are what you are looking for 318/360 "magnum" 92-up 318 and 93-up 360.

total redesign which included a unique intake.

including the stock intake there are only about a total of 4 available intake designs.

there is stock multi point, there is dual plane 4bbl, single plane 4bbl, and single plane multi point (for use with stock throttle body and injectors)

they are all made by mopar performance and sold through summit, jegs, and www.manciniracing.com

some times people convert the single plane 4bbl intake to multi point because the 4bbl opening allows the use of a bigger throttle body with 4 "barrels" instead of 2 like the factory efi has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was doing some gear calculations. And with 4.10s on 33s im getting 2700rpm on the highway at 65. Guess I better measure my mileage in GPM

So I think im definatly gonna have to find a OD tranny. Just get one from a junkyard, definatly a standard.

Throwing in a .7 overdrive, that brigns it down to 1900 thats a little more like it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
summitlt said:
I was doing some gear calculations. And with 4.10s on 33s im getting 2700rpm on the highway at 65. Guess I better measure my mileage in GPM

So I think im definatly gonna have to find a OD tranny. Just get one from a junkyard, definatly a standard.

Throwing in a .7 overdrive, that brigns it down to 1900 thats a little more like it.
2700RPM isn't that bad.. My '69 Roadrunner used to cruise right around 3000; and that was with 3.23 gears..
But it was a thirsty beast.. Haven't had my RC ou on teh oprad enough to check mileage yet.. But with 35's and 3.23 gears.. I should do pretty decent on the road. That'll be close enough to an OD for me.. I have Low range for off-road for now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
summitlt said:

The hot ticket would be to find a newer parts truck and get the Magnum engine with the overdrive trans attached. Then get all the wiring and computer stuff. 1992 was first year for the Magnum 5.2 (518), 1993 was first year for the Magnum 5.9 (360).
You could go with an older engine, but the Magnums make much better power and should be mated up to a OD trans already so that keeps it easy. And like they said, you can convert an older engine to magnum, by swapping the heads and lifters and intake. For that, you might want to use the search to find info on Magnum heads, there have been a lot of posts about doing the swap.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
joe swinehart said:
another option that looks tasty in the grille section is a 91-93 grille either chrome, or color matched. either way it looks pretty decent. for that you either need a 91-93 core cupport or a torch.
91 was like the 90, so 92-93 for the ones you're talking about (unless they did start the newer style half way through 91). Like what MrPeal (I think it was) recently swapped onto his white crew cab?

Don't like that one in chrome myself, but color matched is sharp.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
if all he is worried about is making up that extra 40 horsepower, he wouldnt have to change motors or heads, 40 ponies is fairly easy to make up in an LA engine.

he can be as simple as a new cam, maybe round up a set of 302 or 308 swirl port heads, swap to some good flat top pistons, or he can use martys favorite cure all for ponies and foot pounds and stroke it

in a basic LA engine a decent cam along with the swirlport heads and a good set of pistons will put him well into the 300 ponies range if not more

eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts