Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For chapter members looking to share there perspective on there hunting, firearms, and marksmen activities

G

·
Are there any coyote hunters on here, I am looking at taking this up and am looking for some tips and suggestions
Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
well from what i understand it doesnt take much of a rifle. are you going for pelts? or just to get the Varmints out of an off of your land?

there is a guy here i went to school with attends a hunt every year. he uses an SKS. ive heard some just a 22WMR. if i go im taking my 6mm Rem.

dont want overpenetration or explosive results if going for pelts now do we? ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know about around where your at but here we use some meat with a smell and a red light on, the red light you use at night to light up the ambush zone, and a little tape recorder with a crying baby rabbit

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
EvilDave said:
Are there any coyote hunters on here, I am looking at taking this up and am looking for some tips and suggestions
Thanks
Dave
Here in Maine, we can hunt coyotes year round. From Jan 1 to Apr 30 you can get a permit to hunt them at night (as long as you have a predator call).

Most people I know hunt with a call. I haven't been out for coyotes since the winter before my son was born. I used to set up overlooking a deer that had died out on the ice and wait for the coyotes to come up to it. I used a Mini-14 (which I've since sold).

I trapped back in high school but never caught a coyote. They're pretty smart and get trap shy easily.

Ted

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
i knew a sick twisted soul who sais he use to put a shock collar on a rabbit. chain it or tie it too the ground an sit in the back of his truck zappin it till the coyotes came an hed plug em.

ive seen them red lights that attach to the scope in cabellas mags. is that what you use?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
This doesn't have to be limited to hunting and shooting. Outdoor interests such as fishing and camping, etc are cool.

I think I speak for the majority when I say this should stay out of the gutter and also don't use it as a soap box. Thanks.

Ted

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No you use the red light to light up the area you put the meat or kill to draw them in, the light for some unkown reason helps to attract them and help you see when they have went for the decoy.
The trapped or tied up rabbit would work to, even if you just tied it up good and left it to flip out on it's own with a little tape recorder or predator call

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I happen to do all the above, hunting, fishing,and camping!

G

·
Well I might have the first one stuffed, Here in TN its still illegal to hunt them at night as far as know. Im prolly gonna use a 17HMR or a Bolt action 223.
Dave

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've got a ton of pics from various canoeing trips I have taken with my son. The shortest was 3 days, the longest 8. Check out our photo album if you like that kind of stuff.

Ted

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
coop thats amazing! you can cram 3 days worth of stuff in 1 canoe. we go on a shooting day trip an the RC is loaded to the gills

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
My son and I are headed back up North on May 8th to canoe the whole Allagash Wilderness Waterway and also 15 miles on the St. John River. All told it'll be around 110 miles. We're going to take 12 days to do it. We may have to camp an extra day or two at the beginning if the ice isn't out on one of the big lakes we have to cross at the start. The ice goes out anywhere from May 1 to May 10. It'll be chilly but we won't have to deal with the flies unless it's an early and hot spring.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
i watched you slide show. that is amazing!!! i am really impressed! you an your boy must be pretty close. awesome areas.

im still amazed how much you put in that canoe. camping gear an outboard motor sleeping gear coolers an 3 tonkas. you are the man

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
My name is DJ, and *sniff* I'm a *sniff* Gun addict. I love to shoot my pistols, and my Bow. Looking for a volunteer to hold my targets. Last one was never released from the hospital. Let me know if your interested.

Really, I'm not that bad of a shot

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Mudshark said:
My name is DJ, and *sniff* I'm a *sniff* Gun addict. I love to shoot my pistols, and my Bow. Looking for a volunteer to hold my targets. Last one was never released from the hospital. Let me know if your interested.

Really, I'm not that bad of a shot
Hell, I'll pull targets for ya....I can wave the red flag as well as anyone. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
yeah speakin of pigeons. i have that chucker an box of clays deej. can you bum a 12 guage off your pa an well go have some fun.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
willy J said:
yeah speakin of pigeons. i have that chucker an box of clays deej. can you bum a 12 guage off your pa an well go have some fun.
Why don't you take the pistol grip off of yours and we can do some bird hunting.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.