Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 months of looking, I have now become an official Ramcharger owner. During the months of looking, I met some cool people, saw some nice RC's, some 'okay' RC's, and saw some junk. It took a while to have one come along that 'just felt right'. And it ended up being not exactly as I expected, either. But I'm happy with it, and already I'm envisioning some improvements in it's future.
So what did I get? It's a 1984 150 Royal SE Prospector model. 318 2bbl, 727 / 3.23 4x4. Two tone - Root Beer top/bottom and Cream middle. Brown and tan interior in really good shape. Seats have had covers on them since new. Senior owned - Retired lady in Sun City owned it for 6 years, bought it from gentleman also living in Sun City when she and her husband moved there. Always has had dash mat, too. It even had the same dash mat matterial custom made into covers for the door handles and armrests! So the interior is really nice for a 20 year old. Roll bar. New road tires and wheels, plus I picked up a set of Big O's Bigfoot tires 10 1/2 x 31 already mounted on chrome rims. It has single exhaust with a cat. I don't think this truck has ever seen any offroad use, from the condition of it. It still is very tight, with no squeaks or rattles when driving.
Now for the bad stuff. There isn't too much really, and most of it seems normal... It needs new rotor and brakes, so I'll do a complete brake job to it. I get some wheel shake when I step on the brakes hard. Feels like warped rotors. Is that common on the RC's? It is on Ford trucks. Some minor electrical stuff too, like the turns signals don't work. Brake lights work, no turn sig's. A/C has been converted to 134a, so it doesn't blow as cold as I like (or we need out here!), so sitting at long lights in August won't work. And one last thing. The back door is cracked up top, by the hinges on one side. Actually , the big crack runs up from the window towards the top left corner , the fiberglass is visibly separated, and one minor crack by the left side of the hinge mount itself. How does this happen? Is there a cure? I actually did not even see it until I had bought it and had it in my driveway. Since I don't think I did anything on the drive home to cause that crack, I assume it was there before and I just missed it. I noticed that the chrome around the rear window was missing, but didn't see that. Oh well. I actually have a good door from an 87 on the wrecked one I bought a while ago, so I'm not sweating it too much. I'll probably ask for some tips on the swap when I get ready to do it. ??? The clearcoat is peeling a bit on the top, so I'll get that repaired. And that's about it. I'm suprised by the 318's performance - it actually pulls pretty well, considering it's a 2bbl!!:D But since I do have a 360 4bbl sitting in storage, I'll be doing the obvious upgrade in the future.

440Ramcharger is coming over tomorrow to check it out - I'll post pics of it soon as well. Well, it's late. I'm going to go to sleep now...outside... in the truck... ;D

·
Registered
660 Posts
congrats on the purchase!!!

I think warped rotors are pretty common on any big vehicle, especially if it has needed brakes and gets driven anyway. As for the rear hatch, that is a common thing too. That is a weak spot on RC's, I think everyone's cracks right there at some point. There really isn't a good way to fix it other than to replace it with another that will probably crack too. I guess if you really felt froggy you could try to reinforce the new hatch in some way. as far as the trim goes, I don't think there is any trim around the rear window, just a rubber gasket. At least mine doesn't. For the turn signals, try the relay located on the fuse panel

For now, congrats on the new RC, welcome to the club (officially now), and if you need help with anything let us know!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I saw just4fun's rig today. He has got a very nice rig. I will be helping him with maintenance and some upgrades as well as ideas for the future. I like the cream and metalic rootbeer brown two tone coloring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AZ_Bearfan. That is pretty much what I suspected on the brakes and liftgate. And thanks too, to 440RC for the good word on my truck and for coming over yesterday to check it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good to me! Let me know when you have time and we'll do it. Fixed the turn signals today. Someone had replaced the socket assembly on the left front side, and did a poor job of it. Cleaned it up, replaced a fuse and voila! Added tranny fluid and brake fluid too.

Here's a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
dang, thats a nice rig...congrats on your buy

hope to see you on the trails soon ;D

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
That's a clean looking rig.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the good words everyone! It is remarkably clean, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm re-doing the brakes completely, now. New M/C, calipers, pads and rotors. I replaced pads and rotors last week, but on the second day of driving it I noticed what I perceived to be brake 'fade' and when I got home, the passenger side wheel was SMOKING! I can only imagine that the pistons in the calipers were over extended for so long by the worn pads and toasted rotors that the developed some gunk and ridges, and when compressed put some of that into the MC causing that to fail. So, I'm doing it right the 2nd time around and cleaning/draining/replacing everything. Right now I'm calling the Dodge dealer by me to see if they carry the RamsHead ornament for the hood. I'll check back later.

Glen.

·
Registered
660 Posts
best place to find the ram's head is on ebay. when you do get it, make sure to secure it real well or else you'll be lookin for another one within a few days, they have a tendency to walk away.

Why not try out the 4wd on the crown king trip??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I picked up a Ramshead at Earnhardt Chrysler Jeep on Baseline this afternoon. I got a bit of a discount and the parts guy whined that he was only making 9 bucks on the deal - Jeeez! Anyway, it was about what I see them go for on ebay with shipping, so I figured what the heck... I replaced the calipers and drained the front brake lines also today. Personally, I've never seen such mud come out of a brake system. Funny, though, the MC looks new... Tried out the brakes tonight and they are MUCH better. I'll drive it a few more times before I trust them though. Crown King sounds fun. I'll check out the post for the dates, etc. Is it something I can bring my 8 year old with me ? I've promised her a camping trip in the next couple of weeks in the RC. She thinks the new toy is really cool...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like my calipers when I first replaced them. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (attracts water) and in a system that has steel parts in it, this is just a problem waiting to happen years down the road. Once I replaced the calipers and flushed the system, each year using a clean, for garage only, baster to suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir helps keep the system in good shape. I replace the fluid with Castrol LMA which is Low Moisture Absorbing DOT 4 brake fluid. Castrol is sold in quart bottles at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks 440Ramcharger, I'll pick some of that Castrol up and start using it from now on. I still have to do the back brakes, but I'm not sure if I can 'mix' the two different fluids. Drove the RC quite a bit today and nary a problem with the brakes. I'm gonna work on the motor a bit - checking the timing, plugs, etc. - I don't think it is putting out what it is capable of. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration, there is a noticeable lack of power as it hits 2nd gear and then into 3rd. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think it could have a bit more oomph than it has, even with the 2bbl Holley on it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Castol is non-synthetic and compatible with other DOT 3 fluids. If needed, we can recurve the distributor. I have several sets of lighter advance springs. A dial-back timing light is good to have to check timing and advancement. You may also want to verify that the vacuum advance is working properly. EZ check is to pull the vacuum line from the carb, plug the carb nipple, start vehicle, suck or use a Mighty Vac on the line to the dizzy vacuum unit and RPM should rise.

·
Registered
660 Posts
the crown king trip might be a rough one to bring a small kid on just because we are starting it at night and probably won't get to camp until about midnight or 1. If it were a day trip it might not be too bad if she can deal with several hours of bouncin around in the truck. If she is game for it though she is more than welcome!!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
just4fun.....we may be coordinating a run to crown king going the easier way up from I17 with some light 4wheeling to get to the campsite. This would be a lot easier on your daughter and we could get up there earlier in the evening or afternoon on Friday the 6th and set up camp. Check the crown king posting for updates and post up if you would be interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts