Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im ready to spend some money plus have access to some cool junk yard stuff.

im ready to build an injection system allthough as of now i really dont have access to my dodge to install it. but the principle of the project is still cool.

ok so the single biggest hurdle is a engine controller.
i have access to all kinds of componenets such as injectors, "additional injectors", idle motors, thorttle bodies, and possibly harnesses. all these junk yard cars are efi and im pretty familiar with what parts i want or need.

but i want to find a PC programable engine controller. not something expensive like the ACCEL DFI or FAST but something that is real budget friendly like the mega squirt.

so what systems are out there?

im familiar with the mega squirt
ford eec IV
go tech

and a few others

is there any other cheap systems out here that i can hijack and control myself?

my first project will be a beemer. its allready efi multi point now i just gotta get control of the parameters

if all works well i will come back with a wealth of parts and knowledge for my beloved dodge.

but i need to see if there are any feature packed efi controllers out there. im leaning towards mega squirt for sheer price but if there is an allready assembled unit for only a bit more id do that too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can buy pre-assembled mega-squirts, you have to look around though, its not the makers of mega squirt that assemble them, but other people who buy the kit, assemble it, and then sell it again.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i buy mega squirt i will assemble it

i have the knowledge. now i have the tools

but if there was another brand of controller pre made for under $500 i might look at it and compare. the mega squirt is $140 unassembled or $300 assembled. all i need is basic electronic tools, so which one ya think id buy? im cheap ass. got money but i got more time.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
hey joe, for the money megasquirt is tough to beat. they are on the verge of announcing ms2. it will have a more powerful processor ane will incorporate a much better ignition control and idle air motor control. ms1 is easily upgraded to ms2. really the only thing i don't like about my ms is the db 37 connectors. another person has a ms that uses ampseal connectors and has the relayboard functions built into the ms board. i think the current capacity of db connectors is marginal for automotive use.the mimi ms uses basically the same circuits and software as ms. visit them at http://www.mini-ms.com/ latest ms information http://www.msefi.com/ good luck --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man i better start reading on these updates

MS2 seems ideal but so futuristic dreamy wasnt sure if itd become reality.

was hoping you d jump in. and gunpilot too since you both have atleast started assembly

is your truck running?

whats the current specs?

if i remember right u 2 are both doing tbi

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
my ms is finally running really good. i had a real problem trying to use resistor packs on low z injectors. was supposed to work but didn't. kept blowing out flyback components on the ckt board. blew 1 transistor completely off the board. funny thing it still ran, not good but it ran. i finally had to go to flyback board. it seems to work ok. as of now i am running a 900 cfm holley tb w/4 65# injectors. i have a 440 built to mag spec + balanced rotating assy. recently rebuilt 727 w/transgo stage 2 kit. it is a blast to drive. fuel milage not good and 93 oct to boot. ms2 is the follow-on to ms1. ums is sometime away looks like. i am not so patiently waiting for ms2, so i can get into the ign part. right now i am using a modified 360 distirbutor (w/hall device) and stock 360 smec for ign control. i have already locked all the adv (mech & vac) on the 440 distributor. i will be using a 7 pin gm hei module to fire the coil. all initial and advance are controlled by ms2 using a 12 by 12 ign table based on vac and rpm. fuel in ms2 is also a 12 by 12 table instead of 8x8. looks like this will allow to refine all the parameters. keep us informed on your progress and if i can ans any q's -- e-mail -- later --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok for now i am checking into this ms 2 stuff.

is there any competive products outt there? does any other company or person develope a system comparable?

whats the rest of the buzz in the diy efi world?

any new cool injection options throttle bodies what are the hot tips right now?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
once i find a suitable controller i will have completed the quest for cheap-efi

injectors are cheap from ferd racing so are throttle bodies and injector harness. rails are home done. injector bungs can be made from threadable brass compression fittings (no welding on intake required)
drill and tap intake runners inline fuel pumps are getting real cheap.

unless im overlooking something, the controller is the only hurdle.

any one else interested in efi but affraid there is some major problem?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just spent some time looking into it. I would like to eventually run this on my car, but am skeptical since it seems too easy.

I'm gonna keep on reading up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The programming, the website claims it is really user friendly. I have had some experience with a friend's Accel DFI and remember it being hard to tune since it was either based on an estimated HP at X rpm or you could go in and manually adjust the fuel map. He sold it before I was able to figure anything out.

If this program uses an 8x8 or 12x12 fuel map wouldnt that leave a large amount of areas where the fuel values will have to be linearly extrapolated leading to a large amount of error?

My feeling is that the Accel was pricey and yet still hard to tune ( for me ), while this is at fractions of the cost and supposedly easier to tune?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not sure what the graph looks like on the accel fuel map.

i know with 8x8 or 12x12 there is a "lowere resolutuion" which forces the computer to guestimate a lil more but allows you to input less.

but a 8x8 or 12x12 would work expecially well on a vehicle that operates in a narrow band. it would show more flaws on a street bike operating from 700-13,000 rpms because there is only 12 differnt rpm scenarios. which makes a wider spread between each cell.

but on an engine that is only seeing half that rpms maybe 6000 or less resolution should still be great.

besides, the maps are mostly for WOT operation. if you are crusing the computer can go into closed loop. i read they re working on that right now. allowing an o2 sensor to correct.

o2 sensors only correct under part throttle to make for better mileage and driveability. then at full throttle o2 shuts off and all decisions are based on base fuel map.

maybe im just a sucker but i think this thing has a lot of potential. plus its open source allows hackers and tweakers to come up with cool new soft ware for us regular folk. take a look at all of the new software and hardware users have designed to tailor to their specific needs.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ok, It's official, I have NO IDEA what you guys are talking about anymore!! (it's ok, I don't know efi) ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
joe swinehart said:
im not sure what the graph looks like on the accel fuel map.

i know with 8x8 or 12x12 there is a "lowere resolutuion" which forces the computer to guestimate a lil more but allows you to input less.

but a 8x8 or 12x12 would work expecially well on a vehicle that operates in a narrow band. it would show more flaws on a street bike operating from 700-13,000 rpms because there is only 12 differnt rpm scenarios. which makes a wider spread between each cell.

but on an engine that is only seeing half that rpms maybe 6000 or less resolution should still be great.

besides, the maps are mostly for WOT operation. if you are crusing the computer can go into closed loop. i read they re working on that right now. allowing an o2 sensor to correct.

o2 sensors only correct under part throttle to make for better mileage and driveability. then at full throttle o2 shuts off and all decisions are based on base fuel map.

maybe im just a sucker but i think this thing has a lot of potential. plus its open source allows hackers and tweakers to come up with cool new soft ware for us regular folk. take a look at all of the new software and hardware users have designed to tailor to their specific needs.
I remember the Accel being at least 20x20.

Im all for trying this megasquirt since its around $150 which is pennys compared to intalling one of the aftermarket systems. Like you Id also like to try my hand at it and possibly add something to it.

Im gona have to figure something out since my laptop only has USB and not the 9 pin serial port. I could just mount an old desktop in my car with a smaller box, get an optical mouse and use in dash screen to tune on the fly. Or just get the convertor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.