Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I finally was able to get started on my 73 w 100 help and suggestions always welcome. It's not much right now but I pulled the 360 out of my 74 and had it bored 30 over using flat top pistons,  stock crank and a melling 204 int 214 exh cam put in as of now running stock heads with 4bbl. I had trans rebuilt with an 1800 stall it has 392 gears front and back. Oh and flowtech headers. I will try and post pics later anyone have an idea of hp and torque? Oh the machine man said i should be running 9.5 to 1 compression. This is my street legal truck to haul wood and pull my other truck I will make it a mud truck later. Thanks for any advice, suggestions, or comments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well got it all installed and started sounds good runs good, problem now is the rear main leaks I can get the pan down without yanking motor already did once. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I hate using silicone but half tempted to use try and stop the leak and hold the gasket in place.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
If the rear main is leaking, you need to determine how and why it is leaking.  Usually it is a bungled install when it's a new seal.  Pull it out and see what went wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seals all look good no tears or rips in the groove where its suppose to be

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Make sure it's pointed the right way.
Think of it this way... you want the "pressure" from the crank case pushing against the seal onto the crankshaft. So the lip (sharper side) of the seal should be pushing towards the flex plate away from the crank side.
If it was the other way around... pressure from the crankcase would easily blow through the seal.

I despise leaky rear main seals.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a rookie mistake grabbed  318 pan instead of a 360 what a difference duh runs like a champ and no leaks wonder what a correct oil pan can do. Simple mistakes drive us nuts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone tell me where to go for Hp and torque numbers?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
70sdodge said:
Can anyone tell me where to go for Hp and torque numbers?
You have a boost in compression over stock.
Other than that... your pretty much stock.
So I would imagine you'll have about 20-30 hp's over stock.
Stock wasn't much to begin with... so probably around 230-250 at the crank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well shucks was hoping for a little more than that. But all well I got another set of j heads I'm going to take in and have redone maybe go to a bigger cam and different intake this winter. Had to get truck running for now and when the well went out it zapped my extra funds I had set aside.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
70sdodge said:
Well shucks was hoping for a little more than that. But all well I got another set of j heads I'm going to take in and have redone maybe go to a bigger cam and different intake this winter. Had to get truck running for now and when the well went out it zapped my extra funds I had set aside.
If you want horsepower... I'll show you how to spend money. ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's ok  I have enough projects and engine's haven't decided on which one I will build for my 74 mud truck. I have a 360 a 361 and a 440 and of course several 318s . I may ask advice when I build one of those.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and say Kurt will recommend you build the 440.  ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
440 would be nice but the 361 is an oddball like me

Attachments

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Elwenil said:
I'm going to go ahead and say Kurt will recommend you build the 440. ;D
Smart man there! ;D
Well if your going to build the 361 you might as well do the 440.
Pretty much the same cost with a bunch more torque and power.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I went with the big what all would i have to change to make fit.  Would to get a transmission but my cousin has motorhome with he thinks a 400 but I'm thinking its a 440 gonna go look at it tomorrow while getting exhaust on my truck.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
A low deck block is a bit easier to fit as the 440 requires the smaller brake booster but chances are you already have it on your model.  But the lower and narrower low deck engines tend to give you a little more room for headers and the like.  Otherwise they are basically the same as the RB series as far as getting one to bolt in.  Keep in mind that some parts for the 361 can be hard to find since they were last produced in the mid '70s and then only as an industrial engine.  They do share many parts with the other B series big blocks like the 383 and 400, but some specific parts like pistons may be hard to come by or expensive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's not so bad. First i want to find a couple wrecked trucks to swap in disc brakes first. Problem is nobody around here will get rid of their dodge truck no matter what shape they're in. Still use them on the farms.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
some of the old castings were pretty heavy wall , but the 361 is .125 smaller than the 383 ...I know they'll go .060 thou but doubble that ? I don't think so  . 4.250 V/S 4.125 . 305 hp V/S 265 .... w/ 2 bbl .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.