Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be working on FOMOCO's 87 Ferd this weekend.  When we changed wheels a few months ago (put Dodge wheels on it), the front hubs slid right off of the axle shaft when the wheel was removed.

The rotor and the hub with bearings stayed on the spindle but the manual hubs and a faceplate fell off on the ground.  It looks like someone in the past had put some silicone between the faceplate and the rotor but we couldn't see anything other than the wheel to hold it all together.

This is a 87 F-150 4x4, 300 6 banger, 4 speed with a independent front axle.

Are we missing something, or is this the way this thing is made? 

We will be replacing the clutch, but if we need to solve something on the front axle, this would be the time to do it.

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
glue them back in and sell it.  ;D

There should be some kind of retainer clip inside the hub unit if I'm thinking right.  {noclue}

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Do you have the retaining screw shown here @ the 9 o'clock position?

Also, the outer faceplate should be held on by long hex key head bolts.

Post pics if you can and I'll see if I can walk you through it.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are working 12 hour shifts through tomorrow.  Then Nick has a funeral and I have a daughter with a Cheby.  We won't get to do anything on the Ferd till Friday.  We'll pull a wheel and see what we have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
'87 was the first year for the hubs that are retained by the wheel on 1/2 ton Fords, they all do the same thing every time a front wheel is removed.
??? :eek:

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
Ever work on a Ranger/Explorer? Same thing just bigger.. ;)
{no} ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
this should be what he has on there. on one of the lug studs from the factory there is usually one of those speed washer retainer clip things that break the first time you remove the hub. you can either get another one to put back in place, or just have to hold the hub in place when you slide the wheel off. either way it is just a matter of getting it lined back up and slid back on

eric

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
Yep...I always joke the the hubby's F250 is "me" and the Ranger is "mini-me"... ;D

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
thats how the hubs bolt on to my RC right now :eek:

but they dont just fall off.... they press into the rotor just a little bit and you gotta knock on them some to break them free

conversion kit hubs.. ::)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I assume then that it appropriate to put some silicone under that faceplate, expecting Nick to take the truck swimming again?

I can't wait to see what is in there after the last swim...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
workgoats said:
Okay, I assume then that it appropriate to put some silicone under that faceplate, expecting Nick to take the truck swimming again?

Seal them on with something, I don't know what was used from the factory.. {noclue}

:eek: Mud?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speaking of mud, on this same trip Skip slipped a tire off the rim on his Suzuki.  We scraped some of the mud off from around the rim, managed to get the bead to seat and aired it up.  There has to be 10 to 15 pounds of mud still in the tire. 

He drove it for a day and a half after that without adding any air.  Maybe the mud is a good sealant.  I'm glad he trailered it home.  At highway speed it should have vibrated like a son-of-a-gun.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
workgoats said:

440 4spd Power Ram said:
Seal them on with something, I don't know what was used from the factory.. {noclue}

:eek: Mud?
More than likely, nothing was used from the factory. On the hubby's Ranger, the faceplates are held on mostly by friction. If it were me, I would go with a coating of grease inside the hub face and RTV against the rotor.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
usually there is an o-ring under all that mud.greasing it would help keep out moisture.i said moisture -not water....
it also helps to not drop it in the dirt when it falls off,its hard on the bearings.i kinda like that setup,makes service a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
offroader_dodge said:
usually there is an o-ring under all that mud.greasing it would help keep out moisture.i said moisture -not water....
there were remanents of an o-ring left in my hubs.. there still there but i added a little sealer to them ;)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The hub falling off was new to me.  I had a 74 Bronco axle under a couple of trucks and converted it to disc brakes.  Then my son had a 62 Unibody with a Dana axle in the front.  The body shop I bought it from didn't do the 4x conversion and no one knew where the axle came from.

Both of those were basically identical to my Dodge axle I drive now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts