Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's my story (try to keep it short). Bought a cam from Comp and the guy promised me that it would work on a completely stock 318, no valvetrain mods. I get it, and the card in there says i need heavier springs. okay no biggie. But i need springs so tall that the guides must be machined, and the valve stems aren't long enough, so now im almost $1000 into head mods at the machine shop. ANyway, im worried about whether the stock 318 tbi will provide enough fuel/air to my cam. So if i need to, how can i up my tbi's performance. It's an 88 so jet won't make a chip for me.
I need to know if an 89 computer will swap in easily (plug-n-play). If so, would a 89 360 computer swap in easily also? Do they sell bigger injectors? Is there any way holley might be able to help?
I need to do what i need to do in order to make this motor run right, so if anyone out there is a tbi expert please help!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
there are a coupple of ways to acheve more fuel to an injected engine without altering the computer. you can run larger injectors or you can increase your fuel pressure ........ an increase in fuel pressure is the best way to give the engine more fuel due to the fact that you can use the signal from the O2 sensor and a digital multimeter. i cant remember what is stoch resistance value for an O2 but if you go to www.thirdgen.org and look under adjustable fuel pressure regulator it will give you the spec (it's the '82-'92 Camaro version or RCC). if you can give us the specs of the cam we will let you know if this is even nessasary. David

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry it took me so long, but the cam specs are very simple. THe duration is basically stock. It's 206/212 at 50. but the lift is a 480/480. Machine shop said it was quite a lift. Comp told me i didn't need any fuel system or computer mods, but then they also told me my stock valvetrain would work. $1000 worth of head mods later...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why not the 480 lift with the stock guide hieght will even allow a 1.6 rocker, only the valve springs should need to be changed and possibly the retainer and keepers, sometimes you gotta go to the 10 degree locks and retainers to have the adjustablity to go to a 1.6 rocker without maching the guides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts