Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am constantly getting the blue screen (fatal exceptions) message. Also, when booting up, (win98se) just as it's going to load the blue screen that eventually turns into your desktop, my computer crashes alot. Screen turns black. This can happen over & over for sometimes up to half an hour before it finally boots correctly. Any suggestions?
Someone said I can re-install win98 without losing any of my current info. I'm not too good with computers but any help would be great.
thanks!
Kelly

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
It sounds like a file got deleted that wasn't supposed to be. Have you ever done a system back up before this? If you did restore with the backup disk. You can't reinstall win 98 without losing everything. Backup what you can and reinstall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't back anything up, just got a cd burner the other day.....my fear is how to back up all the different drivers for cd players , monitor, etc. If I wipe out everyting for a fresh install, I need to know how to put those drivers back in :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kelly,
The first thing I would do is check for bad memory. If your system has more than one stick of ram take on out and trying running without it, if the problem still contiues, put that one back in and take the other out. The next thing I would try is to install win98 on top of itsellf.
This is the way I would recommend doing, this will also keep of copy of win98 cabs on your hard drive, so you willl no longer need to insert your win98 cd when adding or removing software.
1. go to msdos prompt
2. make a directory win98cd ie.. (type) md win98cd
3. go to your D:/ drive or whichever drive is setup as your cdrom, by entering D:/ etc.....
4.go to the win98 directory cd win98
5. copy win98 to win98cd directory copy *.* c:/win98cd
6. once the cab fiiles are copyied, start setup
7. go to the win98cd directory cd win98cd
8. start setup setup/ie/iv/is
9. the ie/iv/is swithches cut down on the amount of time it takes windows to install it can be installed in as little as 15 minutes depending on you machine.
10. Just go through the rest of setup and reenter your cd key.
11. You will not lose any data or programs, usually this fixes alot of windows problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts