Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea how this works....I've heard it referred to as the "high idle cam"....

When you go out in the morning and pump the pedal twice all the way to the floor, crank it, and it idles higher than usual until you bump the pedal again, then it returns to normal idle.

Well, mine won't do it anymore...It quit one time before and just started working again after a couple of weeks, but it's quit working again and I'm just curious as to why....it's not a real big deal but it's handy for cold mornings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I sent you the instruction sheet on an e-brock which references the high idle in the choke section, should help you to understand the high idle part. Basically when you step on the gas the fast idle gets set, which just idles you high until the spring doodad in the choke gets warm enough and lets the high idle cam swing out of the way. If it's an electric choke, check the wires. Also, you might want to squirt with some carb cleaner of de-gunker around any joints or pivot points on the carb (choke and high idle cam linkages) and lube em up if they are rickity.
Hope it helps,
Tim

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah ha....didn't know that....thanks! my holley 4160 e-choke is pretty dirty so it might just need a good cleaning...I'll check the wires and see what happens.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The fast idle adjustment screw is really fun to get at on the 4160 model. You have to hold the throttle wide open and find the little 1/4" screw head under the choke pod on the RT side of the carb. You can do it yourself, but it's easier to have someone hold the pedal down while you hunt for the screw. I have complained to a few Holley tech reps about it - worst part of a 4150/4160 model. Turn it about 1/4 turn tight to start with. If it doesn't go to fast idle at start up, shut it off right away and turn it another 1/4 turn. Repeat if necessary. It should work with just one pump. You must turn the key on before you pump so the choke will close. It's electric...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts