Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,411 Posts
The van uses a wider axle, and IIRC, also has wider perches. Unless it was a camper, it will have a D60, or a 9&1/4HD. Generally the work vans(non window), has the D60, and the window vans had the 9&1/4HD.

Reactions: RedNeckRea

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
the Whole van rear is to narrow / if George is around he would know better

·
Super Moderator
59,411 Posts
Other way Dean, the van rear is wider. I'm thinking it is 3" per side, so it could be used with newer wheels that have more offset. But then the front would not match.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I personally run a 70" rear axle with a stock 67.5" front axle... its not a big deal. I do think the wider axle improves stability.

You can run normal wheels and the back sticks out a bit. Or you can add spacers to the front and run late-model wheels; which balances out even.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The van uses a wider axle, and IIRC, also has wider perches. Unless it was a camper, it will have a D60, or a 9&1/4HD. Generally the work vans(non window), has the D60, and the window vans had the 9&1/4HD.
thanks for the info. I already found and pulled a 30spl d60 rear from a 91 gas d350 (BOM tag 605517, verified here: Dana 60 BOM Numbers | Dana 60 Identification) at the local PnP. If my research is wrong and the mid 80s vans aren't available with a 35spl 70u it's not worth snagging. I might go verify spline count and WMS anyway just for my own knowledge.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
thanks for the info. I already found and pulled a 30spl d60 rear from a 91 gas d350 (BOM tag 605517, verified here: Dana 60 BOM Numbers | Dana 60 Identification) at the local PnP. If my research is wrong and the mid 80s vans aren't available with a 35spl 70u it's not worth snagging. I might go verify spline count and WMS anyway just for my own knowledge.
Where you may find a 35spl D70 in a van... would be a DRW cutaway i.e. motorhome, cubevan. That said, some of those could still be some kind of DRW 60HD.

What is your target width exactly? The D/W cab & chassis D70B's are in the ~67" range and 35spl. I have two for reference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Where you may find a 35spl D70 in a van... would be a DRW cutaway i.e. motorhome, cubevan. That said, some of those could still be some kind of DRW 60HD.

What is your target width exactly? The D/W cab & chassis D70B's are in the ~67" range and 35spl. I have two for reference.
target width is something slightly narrower than the 78 w200 d60 front I just picked up. I'm trying to avoid running large wheel spacers on either the front or the rear.

it is my understanding that the front d60 is ~67" WMS-WMS. Ideally the rear will be only slightly narrower but have spring perches that I don't have to cut off/relocate. a 35 spl dodge d70u is ideal for my application (37" tires and running trails like the rubicon) due to the smooth bottom of the housing, but so far I haven't located one.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The C&C is likely your best bet at par width. Same perches. None of the dodges are full smooth bottom like the select few 80's fords. The 70B is chunky, but whatever year they switched to U (84ish?) is a bit smoother... still have a chin below the pinion, and a lip under the pig, but it's less.

Edit: the SRW is 65" wms... and 35spline until partway thru '91. Identify with studs/nuts vs bolts on the axle flange.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The C&C is likely your best bet at par width. Same perches. None of the dodges are full smooth bottom like the select few 80's fords. The 70B is chunky, but whatever year they switched to U (84ish?) is a bit smoother... still have a chin below the pinion, and a lip under the pig, but it's less.

Edit: the SRW is 65" wms... and 35spline until partway thru '91. Identify with studs/nuts vs bolts on the axle flange.
awesome advice about the axle ID. extra items like that, paired with the axle tube ID (should be 3.5" on a d70 instead of the 3" for a d60) and the cover flange size (1.25" vs 1.0") will really help easily identify the axle at a PnP instead of having to crawl under looking for a BOM tag or unbolting stuff.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts