Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

My heater/ AC fan is starting to act funny. Speeds 1 (low) and 2 work but when switched to 3 no increase in air flow or fan speed (I had the engine off) and when in 4 (high) it actually slows down.

It started yesterday and I thought I had a loose switch but I just pulled the dash and glove box and everything checks ok. No melted wires or obvious signs of overheat.

Is this the first signs of the fan motor resister block going out? My FSM only talks about the fan not working at all.

This is on a '87 2wd, 318 auto with factory a/c.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Could be the switch, i forget what it's called sob, kinda like a dirty contact

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help! It was the switch. Ichecked the motor, it was working just fine, so I pulled the dash fascia and the glove box so I could see the wiring and switches. I turned on the fan to "high" and watched in fascination as the switch itself started to smoke and get hot!

I think I know why it went bad. I had something similar happen on my Land Rover. As the switch contacts move back aknd foth to make a circuit a tiny bit of metal will transfer between between the two contacts. After a while the switch will barely make a good contact and the resistance goes through the roof, causing the switch to fail/burn.

Either way I'm glad I have a fire extinguisher in the cab.

Cheers

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts