Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Thinking I´d do good to my vehicle`s OEM style appearance I got a thermal fan clutch for the now bolted on fan. Just to find out it won`t fit. The fan is stamped 3462190 and the little cylindric spacer it is mounted on has a ´78 production date stamping. So this actually looks like factory MOPAR. Now here`s my question: Was the thermal fan clutch an option on those vehicles? (1979 Trail Duster, 360CID, 4WD, A/C). This is clearly not a matter of life or death, but I am curious...

·
Registered
30,094 Posts
WHY wont it fit
# 1 / fan to large for shroud
# 2 / spacer to tall , fan hits Rad
# 3 / bolt pattern wrong

·
Administrator
61,027 Posts
Yes, not all trucks got the clutch. Without, you will have a fan, spacer, and four long bolts that hold them all together. with the clutch, there is 8 smaller bolts, four to hold the fan to the clutch, and four to hold the clutch to the water pump.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,814 Posts
Yes some 70's trucks came factory with a clutch fan. You have to buy it in two pieces if you want to retrofit it - the clutch unit and the fan and then bolt them together. Your clutch should have a longish shaft coming from it that has a 4 hole flange. You need a fan with the big hole in the center that is meant for a clutch and not for non-clutch. When you swap to a clutch fan you may need to do some minor trimming to your fan shroud. No big deal though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh that explains it. The fan shroud won`t be in the way as some previous owner discarded of it... But it is nice to hear that some geniune parts are left at least :)
The picture shows the current setup in my engine bay and the ebay link shows that same type of flange and fan. As you say, the whole in that fan`s center is too small to let me fit it on a thermal clutch.

I will leave it as it is then. I try to go back to stock whereever possible. Thanks guys!

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Ahh that explains it. The fan shroud won`t be in the way as some previous owner discarded of it... But it is nice to hear that some geniune parts are left at least :)
The picture shows the current setup in my engine bay and the ebay link shows that same type of flange and fan. As you say, the whole in that fan`s center is too small to let me fit it on a thermal clutch.

I will leave it as it is then. I try to go back to stock whereever possible. Thanks guys!

View attachment 625555
You should get a shroud back on there as soon as you can for the radiator to cool efficiently. Right now you are partially drawing air thru the radiator and partially circulating the warm air in the engine bay. The shroud needs to draw the air strictly thru the radiator.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,814 Posts
This is the set-up you need if you want a clutch fan. Plus, you really need a shroud to properly cool your engine

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,124 Posts
The shroud is a crucial part. It'll nearly double the airflow capacity of the fan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that probably explains my terrible overheating problem! I have a new high volume pump, new thermostat, fresh fluid, new hoses and still the engine will overheat almost instantly when the vehicle is stationary. However there are two challenges; The radiator probably doesn`t match stock dimensions, thus making it impossible to mount a (stock) shroud. Also, I do not have the shroud (or the old radiator). Does anyone have an idea where I could buy a new stock-dimension radiator - and get a fan shroud? We do not have salvage yards for vehicles like this in Europe. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30,094 Posts

the link below shows a real cool "howto" make a fan shroud thats pretty easy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ebay would be your best bet for the radiator and likely the shroud.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Or ditch the fan altogether and wire in some electric fans that match the radiator. They come with their own shrouds and I hear the fan on the engine robs horsepower.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe an option, Don't particularly like the electric fans. They tend to use a zip-tie style of mounting through the fins of the radiator. Over time, they will tear the fins as the truck gets bounced around. Of course if you're creative, you could fashion a better mount. Maybe there are better mountings available today, as I haven't used them is decades.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Maybe an option, Don't particularly like the electric fans. They tend to use a zip-tie style of mounting through the fins of the radiator. Over time, they will tear the fins as the truck gets bounced around. Of course if you're creative, you could fashion a better mount. Maybe there are better mountings available today, as I haven't used them is decades.
I've never had electric fans, so I really don't know anything about them. Just throwing out the option.

·
4,814 Posts
Electric fans are great until they fail. To me it's just another electric motor(s) that will need to be replaced and another draw on the charging system. My dislike towards electronics is because they always tend to fail at the worst time or place, like out in the bush or late at night far away from home. I swear my old IROC-Z HATED Vancouver, because almost every single time I went to Vancouver, something electric would fail on it. It was the most annoying thing ever. A mechanical clutch fan is cheap and efficient. Simple.
(And yes, mechanical fans rob some horsepower and that's why a clutch fan is better, it doesn't rob the same amount of power)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I swear my old IROC-Z HATED Vancouver, because almost every single time I went to Vancouver, something electric would fail on it
I think it had more to do with it being a chebby. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fun part is that my truck already has an auxiliary electric fan installed - mounted in front of radiator (with no shroud either). Switching it on will postpone overheating, but not prevent it. So I will take the radiator out, have it checked. It must be clogged, because even with missing a shroud a vehicle shouldn`t overheat whenever coming to a standstill, especially not in freezing outside temperatures. When the radiator can be flushed I will get adjustable shroud kit an work out a custom fit solution. Thanks for that idea!! If the radiator is shot and/or I can find a stock replacement I will get that, and mount a stock or custom shroud.
About ebay: I checked for parts there of course, and they can be ordered. The problem is finding a vendor who is willing to ship to Europe...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Electric fans work great until you are off-roading through a river. My Jeep has a hydraulic radiator fan powered by the power steering pump for just that reason. Fan clutch and shroud is good to go for traversing water, too.

• Wow
Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Have you checked to see if your thermostat is working properly, or if you have the right one on there?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts