Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for a bad fan clutch to delay the shifting of a tranny?
the truck is a 1999 dakota with the automatic OD, 3.9V6.
the fan clutch is freewheeling, their is no resistance, so the truck needs one anyway, so i'm gonna get one. but i just heard that my dads freind took his dodge van in to the shop, he thought the tranny was bad, and the shop replaced his fan clutch.
does the electronic trans contol use an engine load signal or sumthin' to decide when to shift???

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I don't know the conditions of your dad's friend van so i'm not going to comment on it. The trans does go by throttle position and probably vacuum too to know when to shift. I don't see how a fan clutch would affect this though. What exactly are the conditions of your truck. Is it shifting late or hesitating going in gear? Does it do it for all the gears or just the 1-2 shift?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the shifts are all delayed, but the shift into top gear wont happen unless you either tap the throttle hard or let off then get back into it.
the tranny doesnt slip at all.
as far as the van, i dont know the year, etc. but as far as what my dad said, it was one with the magnum style engine w/ computer controled tranny.
i know this subject sounds weird, thats why i am tring to find any of you guys who heard this happen before, cause i never have.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I kinda think you have another problem with your tranny. Have you changed the fluid lately? You could always go ahead and change the clutch and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well,
To make a long story short, you need to check your trans cooler and radiator. And the fan clutch being bad can overheat your trans in a hurry and cause late shifts/ no shifts. I doubt the clutch was really bad, but they're on the right track to wasting your money!....

Slantsixness

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, nobody is trying to sell me parts, the fan clutch IS bad. there is No resistance.
and this cant be related to the trans overheating,
becuse it happens when the truck is cold, too.
I probably have a bad TPS, too. the throttle signal to the trans is telling the trans that i have the gas at WOT, probably

·
Registered
8 Posts
the TPS will get you every time!
originally I thought this was your freinds truck too... my mistake!
But you gotta check that trans cooler even if the TPS fixes it, just in case...

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I would pay attention to that trans cooler as well. My 2000 360 4 speed auto had the trans replaced at 35k miles. Cause: Plugged cooler, which proceeded to overheat the TC, pump, clutches, and finally blew the trans.

The only symptoms were "odd" shifting approx 1 week prior...it didn't want to make the 2-3 shift unless I let off the gas and got back on it. Then one day, it started acting "normal" for my drive to work......then dropped out of drive into 1st at 55 mph........and stopped shifting completely.

The dodge tranny techs I have spoke to say it is a problem with the clutch material used. It wears excessively quick, and the particles find their way to the trans cooler, where they get stuck and eventually plug the cooler.

Just some words of warning.....been there, done that. Believe me, the tranny's aren't cheap either :(

-SM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts