Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed recently that i have a strage clunk, when i am coming to a stop :(.
I talked to some people and they said that they think that my cairage bearings are going out in my rearend. And that i should have my rearend rebuilt.

I also had a new rear driveline made and installed on my '88 RC and now i notice a noise coming from the area of my t-case.
Is this something to worry about or not, any ideas as to what it is.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Could be a couple of things, from the slipper spline in the rear shaft needing to be lubed, to the front spring eye rear bushing moving around in the frame. Sometimes the nut that retains the yoke at the T/C comes loose and allows the yoke spline to thrust in and out of the case causing a clunk. Severely worn or out of adjustment rear brakes will cause this too. Broken motor / trans mounts can allow the motor to settle when stopping that will cause a "bunk" noise.

Dave

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wrote a long reply to your problem. What it could be is that the rear drive shaft needs to be lubed behind the T-case. But grease will shot out the top of the splines not lubing it self. you need to plug the hole in top of the slip yoke. than add grease. The drive saft will push the grease up hit the plug and travel down the splines and no more clunk. Check the FAQs for more answers.
JOe

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There was a post very recently about a similar noise when braking. They found out that the rubber inside the shock mount(s) were missing. :mad: Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts