Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
yes it has the factory ( non op ) radio , # 6 cassette , and #'s 2 15 29 and 22 at least , there is more I don't see listed ,good info ! came new from Anchorage Alaska dealer sticker still on it , wound up in El Paso Texas , where I got it .( serviceman ? ) Came with oil heater trans heater , block heater , battery heater , winter front .Power windows ,mirrors, tilt wheel ,Hitch, cruse , front grille guard ,full lenght running boards , tonahue , bed light , roof lights ,dodge carpet floor mats ,5.9 air , 46 rh lock up , limmited slip 354's , short box ,full tint glass , 2 tone ,full body moldings , not a dent in it original pealing paint ,NO body rust , etc . 160k , I rolled bearings into it, oil pump, and t/chain. Original owner spared no bucks .

the CODES ...using a friends wireless scan tool and adapter . 11 (crank signal sensor in dizzy ), 27 ( # 6 injector driver ) 32 egr system 62 SRI miles not stored ( replacement pcm)

sensor on rear of engine block picks up the flex plate holes , and is called a sync sensor it tells pcm when to fire( ground) which injector and ground the coil . sensor under dizzy rotor tells pcm IF the engine it turning / pcm tells fuel relay to "make" or not fuel pressure 36-7 key on engine off , crank engine and the fuel pressure drops right off . awaiting a new / new
" ignition" sensor ( as termed by aftermarket auto parts systems )under rotor , obsolete at dodge . if not the sensor , then wiring to/from it .

time is all I've got these days , ambition not so much , glad its not the next generation under the windshield ....
and her '87 could use engine/trans r/r ( just tired from old age like me leaks where it shouldn't , smokes , has low power )
It will get there ...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i would suggest checking the relays on drivers side fender , especially the ignition and fuel system relays , one of those bad and you can crank all you want it will not start .

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
l,d say CODE 11 " NO Distributor signal to fire coil " would be the one l,d look at

Reactions: dodge82273

·
Super Moderator
59,496 Posts
on the Magnum,
11 is Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor , (thats the one on the back of the engine, not the dizzy.)
27 is Injector(s) -circuit malfunction, does not say which one.
32 is Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) solenoid/ system -circuit malfunction
62 is Engine control module (ECM) -EEPROM error

The TBI engines used the dizzy for crank reference, the Magnum engines used the crank shaft pos sensor, the dizzy just provides a sync signal (on every other rotation of the engine, so the PCM knows what half of the 4 strokes the engine is on).

Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my factory service manual states that the one in the dizzy is the crank ( as in cranking/turning) signal , and the rear of engine is called the sync sensor as in syncronizing the fuel/spark with the crank shaft's location . number 11 is crank signal from dizzy

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a new dizzy sensor now ( mexico) , all I have to do is install it to see if its wires or that sensor , also a mexico unit . I know I'm suppose to have ohmed it out before replacing it , but it hurts me to lay over the engine and get at it , which stresses my heart , then that hurts ... sucks to get old ... yeah 54 is sync signal ... from crankshaft .

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
when the thing failed me at the bank , first thing I did was swap the relays installing new ones I did have with me . didn't even have a test light .... now the fuel pressure gauge tells me that both asd and fuel pump relays work when the pcm DOES ground the electro magnet in them . key on pressure , crank it and there's zip pressure quickly . So all its getting is the split second of the pump .... I'll do my best to crawl in there today ... IF the dizzy was 180 out yes , the pcm would not have had it running at all , and it was running well / smooth . the dizzy sensor also lets the pcm know if its turning over and grounds the fuel pump relay if it is ...

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
on the Magnum,
11 is Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor , (thats the one on the back of the engine, not the dizzy.)
27 is Injector(s) -circuit malfunction, does not say which one.
32 is Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) solenoid/ system -circuit malfunction
62 is Engine control module (ECM) -EEPROM error

The TBI engines used the dizzy for crank reference, the Magnum engines used the crank shaft pos sensor, the dizzy just provides a sync signal (on every other rotation of the engine, so the PCM knows what half of the 4 strokes the engine is on).
ya l just reread it [ mag and not TBI ] my bad

·
Super Moderator
59,496 Posts
my factory service manual states that the one in the dizzy is the crank ( as in cranking/turning) signal , and the rear of engine is called the sync sensor as in syncronizing the fuel/spark with the crank shaft's location . number 11 is crank signal from dizzy.
Yep, and go to page 8D-14, and you will see they show a different dist. Want to believe them on that too?

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
Dist pickup fires spark , crank sensor fires the injectors

·
Super Moderator
59,496 Posts
Not on the Magnum. The crank signal tells the computer the timing, which is used to control both the injectors, and ignition. The signal from the Cam only tells the computer which half of the four stroke cycle the engine is on. it only gives a signal for each half of the dist revolution, which is one revolution of the crank. Look inside the magnum dizzy, the ring is a half circle, not the 8 fingers like the TBI dizzy.

I have not confirmed it, but I think it does use the exact front of the ring (pulse) to help set the timing of both. Otherwise the exact position of the dizzy would not be that important.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yep, and go to page 8D-14, and you will see they show a different dist. Want to believe them on that too?
your book must be different 8d 2 shows dizzy in a mag , 8d14 isn't a dizzy at all , 1993 book . IF you read the codes it says 11 is from the dizzy

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
the dizzy on a mag don't move at all , the hold down tab reaches the cast upright of the housing with a slot that grabs both sides of a ridge on the aluminum housing .

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Dist pickup fires spark , crank sensor fires the injectors
but ya know LOOKING at the wire diagrames for the 2 relays , asd and pump , I do not see how the pcm could separate them If I believe the fellow who dragged it home for me , his noid light flashes on a injector ground , yet my pressure gauge says the pump only fires for the second when key is on , not when its cranking over .. sorry I haven't done anything with it yet

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
but ya know LOOKING at the wire diagrames for the 2 relays , asd and pump , I do not see how the pcm could separate them If I believe the fellow who dragged it home for me , his noid light flashes on a injector ground , yet my pressure gauge says the pump only fires for the second when key is on , not when its cranking over .. sorry I haven't done anything with it yet
that above tells me the Dist pickup is BAD

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
o.k. cut a 2 x 7 to 64 .5 inches , got in there and r/rd the dizzy pick up , cap rotor wires and the plugs while at it . while "in" there checked dizzy at #1 comp . others have "worked" on this truck , unkown if pcm can "run it"180 out , not going to try it.

crank , no start .
tested MYSELF at the coil + NEVER any power , tested at the injectors green/orange wires NEVER ( not even for the same second the fuel pump runs) any power ( key on or cranking ) FUEL PUMP RUNS for the normal second when key first switched ON .

according to page 8w 56 and 57 ad 15 and 16 , THAT could only happen if splice 142 is bad , because the "load" on the relays ( asd)( coil,injectors power ) and fuel pump is powered by the same circut . ALL should be "hot" for at least that second ... but are NOT , ever .

OR as fury said the thing has/had an " alarm" . installed at one time .
interesting .............
twisting under dash really hurts , have a new radio all wired for plug/play w/ dodge harness , easier for me to pull head lamp switch rod and cluster then crawl under anyway ,( ugh prenundal cable install ... lol)
saga will continue ... read wtf

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
here is the ASD relay wiring that turns the coil and injectors \

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
yes thank you , its the same as my '93 book shows . I see no difference listed for the 5.9 gas I have . # 51 triggers both relays , so when the fuel pump runs for the 1 second the coil + AND injectors green/orange , should be hot that 1 second , but are NOT . A21 from key stays hot at relays with key "on" ., #3 battery direct is hot at relays

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
l,d do an over lay as a test [ run a new wire ] from the asd to one of the injectors

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
ummm , o.k. what results would I be looking for if I did that ? the injectors go thru 2 splices by the way , 142 and 142-1 so which injector would I choose ? the coil too is never powered ... not even when the fuel pump IS

21 - 40 of 45 Posts