Dodge RamCharger Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what to do if you want to install an elusive factory rollbar option for RCs and TDs. Your best bet is a junkyard. This thing is pretty stout. It basically just bolts in and out. The top part is held into the front supports with one big bolt each side, and the rear is held to the main the same way. It sounds cheesy but in a rollover, the bars would tend to jam into each other and not collapse because of the way it's made, even if the bolts holding it together, failed. The upright tubes bolt to the floor on the flat in front of the back seat tight up against the wall. The back tubes bolt to the wheeltubs on top towards the front, on the curve, right against the wall.

Removal: take all the bolts out. The front brackets needed to be whacked off with a big hammer (spot welded) and the backs just dropped off. Label the back brackets right and left. Pulling the old bar apart and out is pretty easy, and is easier if you take the bar apart, and/or you are getting it from a truck without seats or doors like the donor for this one.

Installation: Pull the carpet out of your truck or at least up from the sides. Put the bar together loose in your truck, and then bolt it together. Position it on the floor how it's going to be bolted down. Mark through the bolt holes and the bar should move enough to let you drill the holes for it. Bolt through the floor, tighten everything up and you're done. Cut holes in the carpeting as needed and put the carpet back down. Watch your head as you get out because you're guaranteed to bonk it or bust your back on the top bar at least once. Putting some foam on it is a good idea. The top comes very close to the headliner, behind the front seats.

Very easy mod, about a 5 out of ten for difficulty. maybe a 7 if you're a gurl because the spot welds took some whackin' to bust loose. It's a project for an afternoon, maybe 3-4 hours TOPS.

Where the bracket bolts through the floor, the black stuff is weatherguard to cut down on noise, the grey is padding and the blue obviously is carpet. Due to the location of this part, when you are slingin' gravel and the stones hit the bracket on the outside, it makes a loud TING sound that is pretty trippy the first couple of times.

side benefit: aside from looking cool and beefy, this bar is also pretty strong, and actually acted as a brace for the body across the middle and tightens up handling a LITTLE bit. On a highway on ramp rated for 45MPH, that I would take at almost 50 before it would start to hop sideways, I could now take it at 53-55 before the front wheels would start to let go. And that's on a truck without a sway bar. The bar will also ping a little bit sometimes when the truck flexes but it's not a wierd thing. You'll get used to it just like the rest of the noises your truck makes, pretty soon.

To finish my rollbar, I put 3 cans of blue metallic flake on it after I ground off the stock finish, and a buddy said it looked like it was anodized on there! Too bad I didn't get the bar together right the first time and some of it rubbed off when the thing was being installed. oh well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.