Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
901 Posts
Oh dear God. What a fool.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
The one good thing about these starting to pull big money is that the aftermarket will start to reproduce parts again if the high end demand is there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Personally, I think BJ is the reason that factory musclecars are unobtanium for the common man. 15-18 years ago when people started seeing 6 digit high end musclecars selling on tv, the trickle down effect began and people percieved run of the mill musclecars to be worth big money as well.

It's true that values were going up beforehand, but they simply exploded after these auctions began to be televised. In the mid to late 90s you could still get your hands on a nice driver condition 383 Roadrunner or 340 'Cuda in the $5-10k range. By 2005, those same cars were $20k. Today it's $30-50k.

Lesser musclecars followed...first and third gen Chargers, 71 and up B-Bodys, 70s A bodys, all of them are becoming very difficult to purchase for a beginner. Scarcity and inflation alone doesn't explain the jump

It might be a reason for the recent popularity of trucks too. It gets a person's foot in the door of hot-rodding.

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
The biggest problem is more than half of the vehicles sold at BJ seem to go overseas. The "demand" is being driven by people who don't even live here and the greed of morons who flip cars for a "living".

·
Registered
360 Posts
The biggest problem is more than half of the vehicles sold at BJ seem to go overseas. The "demand" is being driven by people who don't even live here and the greed of morons who flip cars for a "living".
There's that too. They are creating a vintage car bubble.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That's how business works where's demand there's cash, lots of cash. I wouldn't expect the prices to drop in the future, especially when engine-driven vehicles are being banned in the next few years. People are buying while they still can register them...

·
Super Moderator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I think BJ is the reason that factory musclecars are unobtanium for the common man. 15-18 years ago when people started seeing 6 digit high end musclecars selling on tv, the trickle down effect began and people percieved run of the mill musclecars to be worth big money as well.

It's true that values were going up beforehand, but they simply exploded after these auctions began to be televised. In the mid to late 90s you could still get your hands on a nice driver condition 383 Roadrunner or 340 'Cuda in the $5-10k range. By 2005, those same cars were $20k. Today it's $30-50k.

Lesser musclecars followed...first and third gen Chargers, 71 and up B-Bodys, 70s A bodys, all of them are becoming very difficult to purchase for a beginner. Scarcity and inflation alone doesn't explain the jump

It might be a reason for the recent popularity of trucks too. It gets a person's foot in the door of hot-rodding.
Damn straight and the last thing I need in my life is short wide big block PWs pulling 6-pak E body money. I think the saw auction had some 70s chebie trucks pulling stupid money too. Flippers and investors are like locust - they land on something, eat all of it, then move on to the next. At some point ya start running out of Chevelles to clone in to an SS with the nearest catalog. At some point, the market demands fresh meat.

This is what kills me about the younger crowd (get off my grass!!). There's plenty of them around FB that have $20k in to a $10k truck and seriously need the market to catch up to soothe their ego. I mean why else root for a badge you dig to triple in price?

·
Super Moderator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one good thing about these starting to pull big money is that the aftermarket will start to reproduce parts again if the high end demand is there.
Tell me you don't seriously believe that.

Consider just one part that every tin grille owner would buy if they repopped them in say the $300-$500 range: tin grilles. Maybe not the best example because complicated (aka expense) to stamp but grabbed it because that market actually exists. Rad supports would be high on the list too. If you're AMD or Classic Industries how many units do you have to move to cover cost and show a profit. Are there that many tins still left on the planet?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah kinda good kinda bad, IMO. Barrett inflates everything so does facebook and eBay.

Had a lock on a 440 for 300 bucks out of a Motor home. Some other guy stopped and offered the guy 4 grand for the motor home.mind you the motorhome was completely gone. He said the motor itself was worth 2500. Yeah right! Had 79k on it.

Trucks especially are outrageous on facebook. Some deals can be found, but most of the time they are way over inflated.

Neil

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tell me you don't seriously believe that.

Consider just one part that every tin grille owner would buy if they repopped them in say the $300-$500 range: tin grilles. Maybe not the best example because complicated (aka expense) to stamp but grabbed it because that market actually exists. Rad supports would be high on the list too. If you're AMD or Classic Industries how many units do you have to move to cover cost and show a profit. Are there that many tins still left on the planet?
I’d bet there are more tin grill potential projects out there than all the E-bodies put togethor. Yet you can find almost everything you need to restore an E body.

I don’t want prices on our trucks to explode either but it may be inevitable and we might as well embrace the possibility of more available parts.

Good friend of mine runs a custom/body shop. He has told me that if there is a project you want, buy it now. Even if you have no immediate plans for a project. Even if it’s a malaise era car or 80s truck. Because 5years from now it will not be affordable. It was that advice that prompted me to pick up my Ramcharger

·
Registered
901 Posts
Asking prices in the NW on Craig's for powerwagons in decent shape are running $10K now. If I had the capital to spend on this I'd be snapping these things out of the weeds and storing them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Asking prices in the NW on Craig's for powerwagons in decent shape are running $10K now. If I had the capital to spend on this I'd be snapping these things out of the weeds and storing them.
That’s insane.

Im checking the market locally at least once a week and $4-5k gets you a nice driver PW.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just 4 off the top

·
Registered
901 Posts
And lets not forget what Hagerty is doing...

This is for a 75 RC SE 4X4 (I have talked to them about my 74 RC SE. They are looking into the rarity of those)

·
Super Moderator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The time to score stuff outta the PAC NW was a few years ago. Still some screaming deals out there but mostly the cat is out of the bag.

I alway consider Hagerty questimates to be optimistic Mostly because they have few transactions in their database and somewhat because they benefit when prices go up. We had this conversation a couple years ago. In short, show me a #3 truck that you’d pay $22k for. Aside from the BJ bozos who ever paid $50k??

·
Registered
901 Posts
The time to score stuff outta the PAC NW was a few years ago. Still some screaming deals out there but mostly the cat is out of the bag.

I alway consider Hagerty questimates to be optimistic Mostly because they have few transactions in their database and somewhat because they benefit when prices go up. We had this conversation a couple years ago. In short, show me a #3 truck that you’d pay $22k for. Aside from the BJ bozos who ever paid $50k??
FULLY agree

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
For $22K, I will buy a newer cummmins crewcab. I think we are at, or close to a peak in prices right now, 5 - 10 years from now, I bet the ones with money will be going after newer stuff. or old bodies put on a newer chassis, with all the creature comforts add to the inside. Very few will want to pay $$$ to drive a 50 year old truck with no air, cruise, heated power seats, ect.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have also had a somewhat controversial theory that pertains to this issue as well, but spills over into all manner of collecting....

Some of this is driven by the now almost fully retired Boomer generation. With some money to burn, they are determining the prices on vintage vehicles. Maybe not high end Barret Jackson cars but your everyday classic cars...

So as that generation ages out, will there be enough interest and available cash to sustain these prices?

I can give you one antecdote from personal experience....I used to collect military surplus guns. Used to. I have no interest in paying current prices and nobody in my collecting circle is either. Most of these guys are 35-45 years old. Incidentally, that’s the same age as most of my car building buddies.

So my theory is that the market is unsustainable in the long term

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
For $22K, I will buy a newer cummins crewcab. I think we are at, or close to a peak in prices right now, 5 - 10 years from now, I bet the ones with money will be going after newer stuff. or old bodies put on a newer chassis, with all the creature comforts add to the inside. Very few will want to pay $$$ to drive a 50 year old truck with no air, cruise, heated power seats, ect.
Good luck finding one for $22k. I bought my '18 Ram 2500 for $28k in January of 2020. Today it Blue Books for almost $55k. It's a bubble that is going to pop eventually, but right now late model used truck prices are insane.

Reactions: W200’78
1 - 20 of 28 Posts