Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???What the heck is all this talk about shackles and shackle flips and stuff for more lift? Any pics of what it does and an explaination of what it is?

I am getting the 4 inch rough country kit, will this give me a couple more inches of lift without throwing off pinion angles and lenghtening drive shafts?

???

·
Registered
780 Posts
The shackle flip is on the rear of the rear leaf spring, instead of the shackle being below the leaves, the shackle flip kit moves the shackle above the spring, giving a few inches of lift...
Check out the How tos for some pictures of a conversion someone has done...
C.J.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read about it in the how-to's, but will it only give me lift in the rear?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
yes it will only lift the rear. but the idea wasnt to lift the rear it was to add flex and allow you to remove the rear block to cut down on axle wrapup. if you go to the picture sections in the ramcharger and trucks area look for post made by myself and ol86goat. i have put many pictures up of the kits installed. they are not made anymore but sam has the plans up on the site to build them and it is not too hard.

the basics are changing the shackle on rear spring to a compression shackle instead of a tension, it allows for more flex when your twisting up and i feel like it rides a bit better but that is tought to prove on paper. plus i drive a crew cab:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can do the shackle flip like in my how-to for almost free but keep the stock blocks, then use shims and you'll hopefully end up with 4" lift in the rear. If you end up a little short you could get a slightly-longer-then-stock block and put that in (don't stack blocks, its bad).
Then use the 4" front lift springs and other stuff from the kit. This would be a much better setup then the rear setup that comes with the kit, which I think is just a big lift block? Also, there are places online that sell front lift springs alone, so you don't have to waste money on the kit.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
joe swinehart said:
you cant do a shackle flip on the front?
Like gmule said, no. But you can add a longer shacke and spring hanger which gives lift and helps articulation. I can attest that the shackle flip in the rear gives better ride, mine rides much better that it used too(I'm sure my 35's soak up a lot too), but it is noticible.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dodge 85 RC, how did you lift your front to clear the 35's if you only used the RCC shakle flip?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I used the other plans that are on that page. I made a front hanger that dropped down 4 inches lower than stock and made a shackle that was 4 inches longer than stock. So all I did was make a longer spring hanger and a longer shackle. For my entire lift I spent $0. That is why i did it instead of a spring lift.

G

·
One thing that keeps being left out is that when you flip the shackle you also move the wheel forward in the wheel house. When I flipped mine I also swapped in blazer springs because the center pin is 2" farther back keep the wheel centered in the wheel house.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i have flipped 6 trucks using the rcc plans and never had an axle move more that 1/2 inch forward, i never heard of needing to use 2 inch spring offset like chevy(being centered rather) to keep it straight in the wheel well, my truck has 10 inches including shackleflip and my wheel is dead center, so is ol86goats, and drews was, and so on. not sure why yours needed 2 inches of correction.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Mine moved about an inch forward

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i would say yes there is but it is all relative to the use of the truck, i was making them 4 inches longer for a while on the front but using square tubing to stiffen them up as well. i have a set on my crew cab with the cummins in it and 40s with no issues whatsoever. although i can imagine if they were longer the fulcrum leverage would be too great in turns and off camber situations which would bend them over sideways or even worse break off completely, quality of the steel would factor in as well but we never tested much of it longer than 4 inches over stock.

G

·
mrpeal said:
i have flipped 6 trucks using the rcc plans and never had an axle move more that 1/2 inch forward, i never heard of needing to use 2 inch spring offset like chevy(being centered rather) to keep it straight in the wheel well, my truck has 10 inches including shackleflip and my wheel is dead center, so is ol86goats, and drews was, and so on. not sure why yours needed 2 inches of correction.
on my flip I used a rear spring front hanger. that is why my axle moved foreward.
Blazer springs are nice and soft though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.