Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i start er up and let it idle, its very loud but only from the engine compartment! i changed the gasket from the header to the block but it didnt change.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my 77 power wagon with headers

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i replace both of the gaskets but not the flange one, there is a small crack in one header but my cousin said that shouldnt make that much noise though

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ok, well if you replaced both header gaskets, I would spend a couple of bucks and replace the flange gasket since I can't see that crack, but I am thinking that crack could be the cause of the high noise.

Mac

xXx_Dodge_Truck said:
i replace both of the gaskets but not the flange one, there is a small crack in one header but my cousin said that shouldnt make that much noise though

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i know what ur saying, umm can u fix it or just buy a new header? like some jb weld or somehting?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
If it is where "you" can get to it with a welding torch, just have it welded up....
JB Weld might work....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i probly could get to it with a welder but the only problem with that is i dont got one! lol i might try the jb first instead of taking to a shop

could it still be that the gaskets i put in are not good? or the header is actually warped bad enough it wont seal good? i put felpro gaskets in with the material on one side but on the other towards the header is like a metal mesh could that be the problem? i do have metal ones my cousin brought over should i use those instead?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The JB weld might at least last long enough to confirm that the crack is the problem. Then maybe you can get a permanent weld to fix it right like Smokey suggested.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you really think you have a badly warped header, you could try doubling up on the gaskets, as an experiment.

xXx_Dodge_Truck said:
ya i probly could get to it with a welder but the only problem with that is i dont got one! lol i might try the jb first instead of taking to a shop

could it still be that the gaskets i put in are not good? or the header is actually warped bad enough it wont seal good? i put felpro gaskets in with the material on one side but on the other towards the header is like a metal mesh could that be the problem? i do have metal ones my cousin brought over should i use those instead?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The gaskets you used are for cast iron exhaust manifolds. Next time, use real header gaskets, preferably some of the better ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To make sure it's not the crack take a rag and wrap it around the crack or hole, if possible, before you start it. than when you first start it before the header is hot check to see if it gets rid of the noise than there is the prob. If that doesn't works pull the header off plug one end and fill it with water to find any holes that you might not know about, like on the under side of the flange. thats where mine were leaking. another thing to look for is carbon build up around the area of the noise that will be a dead give away for a leak.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
dude yank those headers off !!!!!!!!!! now go get some copper gaskets for it . now install it . No leak !!!!!!!

Aslo when u get hte headers off use a good stright edge and check for the warp on the heads and the headers . if a header is cracked get it fixed . Yes a crack inthe header will bee loud as hell in the cab . or drop the 100 bucks and get osme new Hedmans and be done with it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
A cracked exhaust manifold will open up more when heated therefore will be noisy soon after starting. Also, if equipped with a catalytic converter, if the converter interior is burnt out, the exhaust will increase noise dramatically. It further increases and echos the sound of the exhaust. Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
no jb weld .the muffler shop should do it for cheap .cheap .or take it in while its off .i got a exhaust leak welded for like $10 bucks in rapids .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.