Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start my rc it smokes when i set at a stop sign to long it smokes like a gary color smoke any ideas?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
could be bad valve seals or piston rings.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
even when it just starts and sits at idel speed then take off after it sits for a min or so? i didnt do that till i moved to texas.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
What is the altitude difference between where you moved from and where you live now? Did you re-adjust the carb to compensate (if the altitude difference is more than a few hundred feet)?

-SM

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was in the middle of michigan and now im in southeast texas so i dont reall know

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Gray/black smoke usually indicates that it's running a little rich? Does the exhaust have a smell of gas to it?

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ramtuff said:
Gray/black smoke usually indicates that it's running a little rich? Does the exhaust have a smell of gas to it?
ya and iv seen that its usin a lot more gas down here too.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Altitude difference in those two locations won't affect much. The difference is negligible.

Mac

Rebel Ram said:
i was in the middle of michigan and now im in southeast texas so i dont reall know

·
Registered
121 Posts
your most likley burning oil because the piston rings are old i have the same problem with my scout traveller

·
Registered
121 Posts
theres a oil called "Rislone" that helped with the smoke from my scout

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Rebel Ram said:
Ramtuff said:
What year is your truck? Carbed or TBI? If carbed, you might want to try leaning it out a little bit and see if it improves.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ramtuff said:
Rebel Ram said:
Ramtuff said:
What year is your truck? Carbed or TBI? If carbed, you might want to try leaning it out a little bit and see if it improves.
90 tbi 318

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Ok, in that case, there's a few things you need to check out. It's probably one of the following; temp. sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ramtuff said:
Ok, in that case, there's a few things you need to check out. It's probably one of the following; temp. sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator.
If its smoking on a cold start you can rule out the O2 sensor as the causing problem since your computer doesn't read the O2 until the truck's warmed up. The O2 may still be bad, but it won't cause you to smoke on a cold start.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Ramchargin88 said:
Ramtuff said:
If its smoking on a cold start you can rule out the O2 sensor as the causing problem since your computer doesn't read the O2 until the truck's warmed up. The O2 may still be bad, but it won't cause you to smoke on a cold start.
Good point. I forgot that it was smoking on start up too. {cool}

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now matter if its warm or cold it still does it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What's black smoke on a cold start?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Time to make a trail rig outta it & make the BB p/u the daily driver.. you have to drive less than 3 miles to work anyway so gas milage won't matter....LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts