Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 RC, and had a complete dual exhaust installed that exits just past the rear bumper. I currently have a soft top on it, and noticed on an extended highway drive, that with the back soft top flap open, I get more than a little exhaust vapors coming back into the cabin.  Enough to make my eyes water.

There is no noticeable exhaust leak that I can hear.

Opening the side soft top panels alleviated the vapors to some extent, but I can still notice some while driving the vehicle.

Is this common?

Would rerouting the exhaust out the sides help?

Mike

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep , look at OLD station wagons , they had the same problem , there is a vacume at the rear as you part the air sucks everything in ...  install 90's or an airfoil LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it is back to the exhaust shop.  I originally had a pair of generic turbo mufflers installed, but they are a little too loud even out the back.  Anyone have experience with Dyno-Max Turbo mufflers?  I had them installed on my old 70 Challenger, and the low rumble sound was just right.

Of course the lack of carpet in the truck could be making it loud no matter what I do.

Mike

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
what makes the loud or quieter , mine has a 3 inch inlet / outlet But goes to a 2 1/2 elbow tailpipe , and its an oval "Thrush" cheapie ..... magna flow was on there 3 inch in x2 2 1/2s out , nice grumble but pipes rotted and $ too much to replace ...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
dynomaxs are awesome but the fiberglass blows out eventually and they do get louder.  Same way with magnaflows.  If only they made the dynomaxs 17749 in stainless.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Mike337B said:
So should a side exhaust be in front of the rear wheels or behind them?

Mike
From the factory, the exhaust pipe was behind the rear wheel and exited out the side. Prior to my Cummins conversion, my exhaust pipe was out the rear and just past the bumper and I had the same issues as you with the exhaust entering the cabin. When new exhaust pipe was installed after Cummins conversion, I had them run the pipe to rear passenger side corner and exit out the side. I haven't had any exhaust entering the cabin issues since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.