Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 RC with a 360, noticed an exhaust leak and when I climb underneath I see a tube/pipe disconnect to the passenger side exhaust pipe before the muffler. There is air coming out of the little pipe I am holding in my hand, and you can see where it was connected. Any idea what this is, or what purpose it serves? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have that same thing on my 1990 dually. There was a section of high temp hose coming off of the pipe and I stuffed an old chrysler lugnut in the end and put a hose clamp around to seal the leaks. I think this somehow connected to the canister in the engine bay, but my setup was missing a few pieces...

·
Registered
805 Posts
I removed my smog pump entirely and the whole EGR set up. No more sucking or blowing air into the abyss. Capped anything else left sucking. 100% honesty, I believe the truck runs better now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so it is part of the smog setup, I think i will just try to cap it off as well, doesnt sound like there is a real reason to keep that setup, thanks for the information everyone.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok so it is part of the smog setup, I think i will just try to cap it off as well, doesnt sound like there is a real reason to keep that setup, thanks for the information everyone.
If your state doesn’t test emissions, you could just remove the whole thing. I did some testing on my pump, took the belt off then it seized on its own a day later so I just removed the entire thing.

Looks much cleaner without the pump. I also removed the bracket as well since I did the water pump/t chain.

Automotive tire Wood Art Auto part Cg artwork

1 - 7 of 7 Posts