Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone might have some photos of rear exhaust exhaust on a truck or ramcharger.
Trying to decide how to route my new dual exhaust - both on one side, both out the rear on either side, opposite sides, or just dump under the body after the axle.

Think that I would like to have both come out straight under the bumper but I can't seem to find a good photo of it.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,140 Posts
I agree, I would have it exit before the rear wheels. One on each side or both out one side all comes down to preference.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Check your local laws. Some places, like Virginia, do not allow you to have the exhaust exit before the passenger compartment ends and since a Ramcharger is all passenger compartment, it has to come out the back, or the rear corner(s). Also, some say that exhaust is bad for rubber and will prematurely age the tires. I do know that exhaust in front of the rear wheels is lunacy in drag racing as a blown engine will spray oil on the tires usually leading to an accident. While not many of us drag race our trucks, it's still a potential hazard and could be an even bigger issue on the highway. I do have a pic here somewhere of my old '84 Ramcharger with the exhaust exiting out the back on either side of the fuel tank skidplate, but the bumper was taken off and sold so there was no bumper on it in that pic.

Ah, I found it, but it's an old pic taken with a potato:

My current Ramcharger has a single 3" pipe that exits in the stock location. Once the lower 1/4 panels are cut off for clearance, the tailpipe will be moved up and tucked tight against the new edge of the 1/4.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Strange question. How does dual exhaust run down the drivers side with the vacuum ball in the way?

Y pipe after on the the passenger side? Lame.

Any pictures of stacks on a ramcharger?

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
A, move the ball.
B. remove the ball.

Stacks !  {cross}

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
On my '84, there was no vacuum ball since it was not a CAD axle truck.  On my '88, I have a D60 front and an NP205, so the ball is no longer needed so I could have run duals on it as well, but the length required to get past a bumper in the rear makes for a departure angle that is just on this side of a '74 Newport, so I don't do rear exit exhaust on anything I take on the a trail anymore.

As far as stacks, I did that once and only once.  It was loud, it was annoying, the soot that ended up all over the place was annoying and it was just a bad idea all the way around.  Stacks on a Ramcharger would be about as smart as that pic that went around the Internet some years back with the Mustang with stacks on it.  The body shape means stacks on the side would stick so far off the body it would be ridiculous and would make mirrors utterly useless.  There is no way to hang them off the back and still allow the use of the liftgate or tailgate and not completely block the taillamps.  About the only way one could do it and actually make it work would be to run them up through the floor, into the interior and up through the roof which would pretty much ruin the value of the truck and create all sorts of problems with exhaust routed through the cab.  Most likely to be legal in Virginia I would have to run a larger pipe welded to the roof and floor with the exhaust routed through it which would just be a retarded amount of effort for something that is retarded to begin with.  I once considered "frenching" in a similar half-tube in the outer 1/4 panel to run a short HMMWV style stack on the passenger side, but it would still stick out a ridiculous amount at the top in order to keep from having the exit be at face level standing next to it.  In the end, unless you are racing or tractor pulling with a Ramcharger with a Cummins and a stack through the hood directly off the turbo, there is no feasible way to do stacks without looking well past "*******" and going all the way to completely insane.  Just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Elwenil said:
…..About the only way one could do it and actually make it work would be to run them up through the floor, into the interior and up through the roof which would pretty much ruin the value of the truck and create all sorts of problems with exhaust routed through the cab.
…And it'll be the first time you'll have to run the A/C on full, during the winter…Don't attempt to drive during summer.

Ed

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Elwenil said:
Check your local laws. Some places, like Virginia, do not allow you to have the exhaust exit before the passenger compartment ends and since a Ramcharger is all passenger compartment, it has to come out the back, or the rear corner(s).
+1

Applies to British Columbia (Canuckistan) too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.