Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jave a 'tick-tick' exaust leak I can only hear when I'm driving. Can't hear it well at idle. How do I tell if it's coming from the exaust manifold or the donut?

·
Registered
512 Posts
My experience with a "tic tic" exhaust leak is a manifold gasket. It is leaking on (usually) one cylinder, hence the "tic" as that cylinder fires. When the donut leaks, it is (at least on mine) more of a steady 'pfffft' sound.
-Rod

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Before the exhaust has a chance to get hot put your hand around the donut, and feel it theres any exhaust coming out. Easiest way I know. Also check the tightness on the bolts. The 318 I had it Flag didnt use donuts the manifold was shaped so it didnt need them. All it had was a paper gasket Wyatt

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Truth is, there is no really hard and fast way to tell. Replace the donut, and if that does not fix it, then lay siege to the exhaust manifold gasket. You might want to get the manifold trued flat at a shop, in case it is warped - if it happens you have to get that far. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Mac

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
in my experience its the manifold gasket.its easier to change than the donut too.ive had too much experience with that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts