Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

About a year ago I purchased (8) cases of Pitt-Penn Motor oil for a car that I had. The car burned a large amount of oil and I figured I would buy the cheapest oil I could. I found this oil from a local wholesaler @ .43 cents a quart! My car died before I ever had a chance to use the oil :-(

The oil bottle says Pitt-Penn SAE 30.

I don't really know much about oil, but there is definately not a W anywhere to be found (ex. 10W-40). The back of the bottles say "Does not meet new car warranty specifications".

I'm going to use this stuff in my 89 Ram truck (360) just to get rid of it. Any thoughts on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated. Should I use this cheap stuff? Is it OK? What is SAE 30? Should I add a bottle of slick 50 or Duralube with it to help out?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
True said:
The back of the bottles say "Does not meet new car warranty specifications".
Does it say it meets or exceeds any SAE, API or MIL specs?
If not, give it to a Ford owner ;D

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
dude do not use slick 50 period or that oil . don't be chepa when u buy oil . save that rap oil for some tractor or something .

·
Registered
846 Posts
use it in a burn barrel or something or maybe a toyota, i had a toyota that burned enough oil and leaked enough that it didn't matter what i put in there, in that car i could go to a gas station and check the gas and fill the oil haha
shawn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what the back of the bottle says:

Pitt Penn Quality
SAE 30 Motor Oil API SA <---- Is this what you were referring to?

"A quality motor oil, refined and distilled by the latest method. Provides lubrication that protects the motor against friction. Pitt Penn Quality Motor Oil provides efficient lubrication in many types of service where low cost and economy are of primary concern. Does not meet new car warranty requirements."

Would this oil be ok to run for, lets say, 1000 miles and then change it? I'd really like to use this stuff up. Anybody out there who would dump it in their prized Dodge?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Maybe use it for the lawn mower; otherwise.. leave it aside.. incase you develope a major leak and need it to dump in for emergency use.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Use it to oil bicycle chains. It sounds like it's just about as good as Havoline.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lmao use it in a prized dodge!!! lmao i wouldn't even buy that to use in a lawn mower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know, I really wouldn't use the oil if I didn't have so much of it.

Seriously, what are the adverse effects of using a cheap motor oil? Gum buildup inside the motor? Poor viscosity? Anybody have any idea WHY it shouldn't be used? I'm very curious on this subject. I'm also guessing that the oil is re-refined oil, but I've also heard that its not always a bad thing to buy this type.

We need a oil expert on here to step forward! Please!

Also, anybody have any idea what SAE-30 is compared to 10W-30?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
SAE-30 is straight 30 weight oil. Multi-viscosity oils like 10W-30 have the characteristics of both 10 weight oil, 30 weight oil, and everything inbetween. Multi-viscosity oils are more suited to car & truck engines due to the variabilty of the environments they run in.

I would not use that oil in any car or truck I own.

Go see if you can sell it to Jiffy Lube.

-SM

G

·
SAE 30 oil is what is used in small lawnmower type engines, i.e. briggs, tecumseth 3hp 8hp etc.
It is for summer only and for winter it is suggested to use 10 w 30 in same engines. Personnaly, I would not use it in a car or truck. Try selling it to a small engine repair place.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I would say the oil is ok in your truck for 1000 miles. 30 weight is ok for summer months only in Chrysler V-8's. Its better suited for a lawnmower though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to run this stuff for a thousand miles (probably with some Marvel Mystery Oil) and then change it. Luckily, there's a oil recycle place near me so I wont feel so bad about running all of this oil for a very short time. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, i ran SAE 30 right before my last motor blew up... not a reccommended thing, unless you are excited about building a motor.

Jake

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pitt-Penn advertises this stuff as their least expensive Motor oil, to be used where a non-detergent, no additive motor oil is needed (i.e. lawn mowers, tractors, etc.).

I would not run this stuff in anything of mine...including a lawn mower! Not trying to be a smart-ass with you -- I'm dead serious.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My theory is if you put crap in then you get crap out or in this case your motor craps out. LOL Just use a good oil and sell that oil on ebay or something. Where were you when my minivan did this!!!! LOL ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
91PowerRam said:
If not, give it to a Ford owner ;D
Hey, a friend of mine let me drive his '84 Bronco offroad, I have to admit I was pretty impressed. Unfortunately, he didn't know that the coolant reservoir wasn't a place for extra air...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts